Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    There is a real distinction between these two, FYI.
    Only to a believer of Marx

When people say "personal property" they are referring to the things that you own which you use for yourself. You have them for some particular quality which they possess which is useful to you, which may be shelter, warmth, sustenance, entertainment, ect. This type of property includes your home, your vehicle, your artwork, your furniture, you toys, your computer, ect. ect. ect.

When they say "private property", they are referring to Capital or the means of production. The ovens in a bakery are not used for feeding the owner of the oven, they are used for producing a commodity and sold for profit.

Capitalism generally doesn't draw a distinction between these two, neither does feudalism or slavery.
    Oh I get it, it's like keep your hands off my personal property or I'll blow your head off with my private property!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Only to a believer of Marx
    It is a Marxist distinction, yes.

You don't have to accept Marxist analysis in order to understand it. That is what the people are referring to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

When people say "personal property" they are referring to the things that you own which you use for yourself. You have them for some particular quality which they possess which is useful to you, which may be shelter, warmth, sustenance, entertainment, ect. This type of property includes your home, your vehicle, your artwork, your furniture, you toys, your computer, ect. ect. ect.

When they say "private property", they are referring to Capital or the means of production. The ovens in a bakery are not used for feeding the owner of the oven, they are used for producing a commodity and sold for profit.

Capitalism generally doesn't draw a distinction between these two, neither does feudalism or slavery.
    Anything to blur the lines, huh?

Dumbass
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Jon Stewart: Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz

Jon Stewart's Older Brother, Larry Leibowitz, Is Chief Operating Officer Of The NYSE.

The coverage of OWS on the Daily Show has been negative. TDS was the first to treat the entire problem of the porta-potties.

Mr. Bojangles...
    Mr. Bojangles...
    Mr Bojangles... dance.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Ect? Is this shorthand for ectoplasma?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Ha! I loved the video, and who is that reporter woman?
    She was great, we need to see more of her. :)

Oh, I see the difference.

So if I wanted some bread but didn't own an oven, I could just walk into your bakery with my flour, water, salt and yeast and use your oven and you'd have no problem with that?

Or do I take my ingredients and go to the state-owned oven and stand in line with the 2,000 or so other people that need to make bread that day and wait my turn?

Or do you have a third option?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Oh, I see the difference.

So if I wanted some bread but didn't own an oven, I could just walk into your bakery with my flour, water, salt and yeast and use your oven and you'd have no problem with that?

Or do I take my ingredients and go to the state-owned oven and stand in line with the 2,000 or so other people that need to make bread that day and wait my turn?

Or do you have a third option?
    ;)
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand