Hybrid View

1. #1 Favorite Holiday Meals 
    Since Thanksgiving is a few days away, I wanted to start this thread here to get the most exposure. I can move it to RECIPE's section after the holidays.

Which meals do you look forward to every year for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays? Do you have a traditional dish that you or your family always makes? Do you have a special Holiday recipe that you'd like to share?

My mom does Thanksgiving holiday and she usually starts with a pasta dish, followed by the turkey and all the trimmings. She makes the BEST sausage/mushrooms/rice stuffing that I know how to make as well. She will usually do a green salad, stuffed mushrooms, baked potato and yams and then a surpise dish. I always make a pumpkin cheesecake from a Paula Deen Recipe that I will post below.

Christmas is celebrated at my house. I start with an antipasto of garlic bread, roasted red peppers, assorted cheeses and sopressata, followed by a pasta dish. Main course is a boneless prime rib roast with gravy, baked potato, candied yam platter(with marshmallows and pecans), and a green salad. This year, I think I will make my mom's stuffed mushrooms as well. Dessert is whatever my guests bring. I usually make a plain cheesecake with cherry or blueberry sauce too though.

Now I am hungry..:D

Here is the pumpkin cheesecake recipe:

Ingredients
    Crust:
    1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
    3 tablespoons light brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 stick melted salted butter

Filling:
    3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
    1 (15-ounce) can pureed pumpkin
    3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
    1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

For crust:

In medium bowl, combine crumbs, sugar and cinnamon. Add melted butter. Press down flat into a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.

For filling:

Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add pumpkin puree, eggs, egg yolk, sour cream, sugar and the spices. Add flour and vanilla. Beat together until well combined.

Pour into crust. Spread out evenly and place in oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.

I leave the cheesecake in the oven after I shut it off for anywhere from 3-8 hours before I put it in the fridge. I also put a pan of hot water below the cheesecake to make it a moist oven. Also, wrap the springform pan with aluminum foil in case it leaks. When making a cheesecake, make sure you make no loud noises as it's baking...I don't know if it's an old wives' tale, but my mother always reminds me..and I've yet to have a cracked cheesecake:)

If I showed up for Thanksgiving and the only thing being served was my moms sausage stuffing, I would be content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    and sopressata
    Ug. :D

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    We're going to a neighbors down the street this year and we've been told it will be awesome!!! :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

My favorite Christmastime meal was the traditional Italian feast of the 7 fishes I enjoyed as a kid.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.