Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 102 Minutes That Changed America 
    Did anyone else watch this. Awesome, yet sad.

Minute by Minute: Real Terror in Real Time

By NEIL GENZLINGER
    Published: September 11, 2008
    For this one week people who live in the New York area can be divided into two groups: those who can bear to revisit what happened in Lower Manhattan on Sept. 11, 2001, and those who can’t. If you have even a vague inkling that you might qualify for the “can’t” group, stay away from “102 Minutes That Changed America,” a harrowing, painful reconstruction of that morning compiled from professional and amateur video and audiotapes.

The program, appearing Thursday on History, gives a minute-by-minute account of the unfolding catastrophe by piecing together footage from numerous sources and locations. Some of the footage was shot in the very shadows of the World Trade Center; some shows the scene in Times Square or New Jersey.

All of it, of course, is hard to watch: the people leaping from the upper floors; the firefighters, some presumably doomed, headed toward the buildings while everyone else is running away. But it’s not all as familiar as you might think, thanks to some smart choices by the editors.

For instance, just where you’re expecting one of the well-known long shots of the second plane flying into the south tower, you get a startling close-up image taken by two New York University students from their dorm window. It captures not just the event but also the instant horror it generated as the young women, in a tall building themselves, begin to panic.

Another recurring view of the burning buildings, from an apartment a mile north of the site, seems unremarkable until you listen to the accompanying audio: a child’s voice keeps asking what’s going on, and the parents are heard shooing the youngster away, trying to shield young eyes from the unfathomable reality.

The press material promotes the program as an attempt to preserve a historically accurate chronology, but you can’t watch it without feeling somewhat ghoulish. Yet in addition to the horror, what pervades these 102 minutes is a sense of utter helplessness. There is value in being reminded of that feeling of impotence, and of that old saying about eternal vigilance.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/ar....html?ref=arts
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Started watching about five minutes into the program - just by chance - sat riveted in front of the television for the duration. Best 9-11 program presentation I’ve seen yet. Stunning.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Started watching about five minutes into the program - just by chance - sat riveted in front of the television for the duration. Best 9-11 program presentation I’ve seen yet. Stunning.
    I absolutely couldn't look away.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    I absolutely couldn't look away.
    I think, at least for me anyway, it was because it was so "human."
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

I think, at least for me anyway, it was because it was so "human."
    I told my wife, "If Cloverfield was real, this would be it."

I jumped like I was watching a horror movie when the second plane hit.

I watched it too. It made me reaffirm my belief in the war on terror.

Kill the fuckers that did this and anyone remotely associated with them. if that makes me a bad person so what.

If someone had asked me an 9-10-91 my thoughts on the Palestinian issue I would have said that they should have a country to call their own, but after seeing them dancing in the streets on 9-11, I say fuck them too. I dont care if Israel kills every last one of them.
    Last edited by Bongo55; 09-12-2008 at 12:11 PM.

I jumped like I was watching a horror movie when the second plane hit.
    Yes, I agree - it was like some bizarre movie CG effect.

What also struck me was the scene in Building 7, with the quiet dust and the single Secret Service guy just standing there. Really spooky.

Then there was the scene of walking out of the cloud and focusing on the pigeon on the sidewalk - doing little circles - like it had every day of its life, but covered in dust.

Yes, I agree - it was like some bizarre movie CG effect.

What also struck me was the scene in Building 7, with the quiet dust and the single Secret Service guy just standing there. Really spooky.

Then there was the scene of walking out of the cloud and focusing on the pigeon on the sidewalk - doing little circles - like it had every day of its life, but covered in dust.
    There was alot of creepy scenes. I couldn't imagine actually being there.

There was alot of creepy scenes. I couldn't imagine actually being there.
    I missed it. Does anyone know if it will be running again soon?