Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    But how many incidents of knives being used pre-9/11 were there? And the extra BS we go through now was because overseas security was lax, not ours. Richard Reid's flight originated in Paris. The underwear bomber was from Amsterdam IIRC. The issue with the potential liquid explosive, London(again IIRC). But the issue here is that once the government took over, it became the bastion of political correctness. I don't care how many 8 year olds or grannies on walkers they feel up, it won't make me feel any safer. However, if they have 4 or 5 Middle Eastern looking men between the ages of 18-50 being scrutinized, THAT would make me feel safer.
    There hadn't been any, because the goal of terrorists was to either destroy the aircraft remotely or hijack it for ransom/demands. The 9/11 terrorist acts demonstrated that the bad guys had figured out what we were prepared to defend against, and worked the system. The protocols at the time were inadequate, because the terrorist paradigm had evolved. Airline security prior to 9/11 was fundamentally flawed, and the changes made after the fact have only exacerbated the flaws. The last line of defense against a terrorist is a passenger who is free to defend himself and who carries the means to do so. Taking away nail clippers makes us less safe, because it distracts us from real threats. Diffusing scrutiny makes us less safe, because it makes it harder to focus on the real threats.

You are definitely correct about the lack of oversight in foreign airports, but the only way to control that is to have airlines flying into the US adopt US standards of security, which we could easily do through the simple expedient of withholding clearance to those airlines that don't comply.

Also, the PC idiocy that dictates that we treat geriatric nuns as potential terrorists and give imams who ask for seat belt extenders and do everything within their power to act the part of terrorists a pass is absurd. 9/11 was carried out by Muslims in the name of Islam, with the intent of forcing America out of the Middle East so that their fellow jihadis would have a freer hand in overthrowing our allies and creating their caliphate. A troopie returning from Iraq isn't a part of that problem, he's part of the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Witmaster View Post
    I remember back in 1998 when I returned from Bosnia. Myself and 2 other soldiers were traveling together back to Benning. We landed at ATL Int. and proceeded through International Customs.

Now... Back then we traveled with our weapons... hand carried. I was carrying everyone weapon (3 M-16's and a M203 grenade launcher). slung over both shoulders while the other two handled the baggage. (Keep in mind we WERE in uniform.

As we proceeded up to the customs agent, the nice lady looked me in the eye and asked (I shit you not...) "Do you have any HANDGUNS to declare?"

I replied, "No ma'am, just 3 machine guns and a grenade launcher."

She looked at me, smiled and said, "Welcome Home." and let us pass without a second thought.

How times have changed....
    ROFLOL! The grenade launcher is the icing on the cake.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

After enduring decades of the highly intrusive indignity of the Army's routine urinalysis testing, I have to give this one a big "So what."