Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Will someone in the DU community school this jackass on the enormous cost of drug discovery. Please.
    How many cancer drugs do you think were "discovered" or invented by the world's largest manufacturer of cancer drugs?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    Especially since we effectively subsidize Canada's drugs. They buy below cost and it is made up by charging US more.
    We subsidize almost all drugs. Drugs come from labs at NIH, research hospitals, and colleges (and similar facilities in other countries)- all of which get huge amounts of money from the taxpayer.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,136
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Will someone in the DU community school this jackass on the enormous cost of drug discovery. Please.
    But, but, but....it should be free. Profits! Eleventy % of profits! Ponies! Rainbows!

    Now, as per the :bounce:, what do these people think, that the cashier would say "never mind, here"?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    We subsidize almost all drugs. Drugs come from labs at NIH, research hospitals, and colleges (and similar facilities in other countries)- all of which get huge amounts of money from the taxpayer.
    The funding for the cancer treatment that cured my father in law came from a private doner.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member Janice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I had a scrip I would pick up at Walgreen's for 89.00, the second month I asked if there was any way to get the price down and they signed me up for a membership card. Now it is 22.00 per month with tax.
    Wow, I had no idea. I may have to sign up for one of them too at some point. Ive seen the little adverts but I had no idea there might be that much savings. Thanks for the tip. :)
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    Wow, I had no idea. I may have to sign up for one of them too at some point. Ive seen the little adverts but I had no idea there might be that much savings. Thanks for the tip. :)
    It has saved me a bundle!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    I had to pay over $200 for prescriptions when I was sick without insurance. For years I would simply not buy medicine unless it was absolutely necessary. I spent about 2 years having an impacted wisdom tooth flare up and get infected, tearing through my gum and hurting like all hell. I would go weeks at a time unable to eat solid foods but I just never went to the dentist because I didn't have insurance. I talked to people but the price quotes were WAY out of my range.

    I don't think the OP is exaggerating and even if they are, there are plenty of people out there with that problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    441
    Maybe they should talk to the Chosen One about banning an OTC drug and forcing people with mild asthma to now get prescription drugs.

    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/234856.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    HR Corporate Scum patriot45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    10,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I had to pay over $200 for prescriptions when I was sick without insurance. For years I would simply not buy medicine unless it was absolutely necessary. I spent about 2 years having an impacted wisdom tooth flare up and get infected, tearing through my gum and hurting like all hell. I would go weeks at a time unable to eat solid foods but I just never went to the dentist because I didn't have insurance. I talked to people but the price quotes were WAY out of my range.

    I don't think the OP is exaggerating and even if they are, there are plenty of people out there with that problem.
    I woulda pulled your tooth for free! As for the meds I'd even given you a shot of vodka!

    : Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.
    Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    950
    I was prescribed a cream for my hands. One 3 oz tube was $1,000.00. I have no insurance. I filled out a form, it was faxed to the manufacturer. I got a code number. The pharmacist put the code number in instead of the insurance number and I did not pay a DIME for my cream.

    I've never had insurance. I have paid for everything out of pocket. I worked out payment plans. I got a health care credit card and it's good at the veterinarian too. Not one time have I ever thought that paying for my prescriptions or care was someone else's responsibility. Not once.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •