Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Thanksgiving jihad? Butterball sells sharia friendly halal turkeys 
    Michael Stone
    , Humanist Examiner
    Thanksgiving is turkey time, yet many Americans are unaware that the turkey on the menu may be halal, meaning it is slaughtered according to the dictates of sharia, the religious law of Islam.
    On Monday, reports began circulating around the web that one of America’s largest producers of thanksgiving turkeys, Butterball, slaughters turkeys according to the dictates of sharia law. And apparently Butterball has confirmed the rumor: all Butterball whole turkeys sold in the U.S. are slaughtered in accord with sharia, Islamic religious law.

Halal is a term designating any object or an action which is permissible to use or engage in, according to Islamic law. The term is used to designate food seen as permissible according to Islamic law.

Halal slaughter is considered by many to be a barbaric and inhumane practice. Others object to the religious aspect - the offering of prayers to Allah as the animal is slaughtered.

The halal sanctioned method of slaughtering animals consists of using a well sharpened knife to make a swift, deep incision that cuts the front of the throat, the carotid artery, wind pipe and jugular veins but leaves the spinal cord intact, and the animal suffering. In addition, a prayer is said over tha animal as it suffers an agonizing death: "Bismillah allahu akbar" -- in the name of Allah the greatest.

Some concerned citizens are now boycotting Butterball turkeys - some because of the connection with Islam and sharia - others because of the brutal and inhumane method of slaughter.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Thanksgiving jihad? Butterball sells sharia friendly halal turkeys - National Humanist | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/humanist-in-...#ixzz1eUqqPczp

I am getting really tired of this crap!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Well I won't be buying Butterball if this is true. Why let the those animals suffer in such a manner?

They are sick in the head. Truly sick...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Well I won't be buying Butterball if this is true. Why let the those animals suffer in such a manner?

It is true, I have read it from several sources.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

My local grocery store has a large Kosher section. This type of thing isn't something to get mad about, who cares?

I can still get everything I want at the grocery store, so what's the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    My local grocery store has a large Kosher section. This type of thing isn't something to get mad about, who cares?

Your post is irrelevant, did you read any of the thread?

Jew-haters post almost exactly the same kind of stuff about kosher slaughtering, personally I don't give a rat's ass about either one, as long as the meat isn't screwed up. They can chase the fuckers down with chainsaws, as long as they aim well and don't mess up the white meat.

I kinda like the bacon-wrapping ideas, for reasons totally unrelated to tolerating Islam.
    Last edited by DumbAss Tanker; 11-23-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post

Here's the problem:

There are two aspects to kosher/halal procedure: one is the mechanics of the kill and the other is the prayers required at the time of the kill. For some, the method of killing (for both kosher and halal procedures) seems more barbaric and hurtful to the animal than more modern methods, but that is not the only issue in this thread. A real sticking point is the prayer over the dying animal. In order to be halal, the name of God (Allah) must be pronounced over every dying animal.

If you are a true Christian who believes in the power of prayer and the energetic force of properly performed ritual, then having a food item where that power has been applied by a rival religion with a rival god is a spiritual wrong, especially when that god has been invoked against you and your country in deadly attacks.

If you're an atheist or agnostic, Butterball could pray over the turkey to any entity and it would be meaningless, since you would believe that no entity was around to hear the prayer and receive the energy of the ritual.

Kosher food is acceptable to many Christians because it is the same God (Yahweh) to whom the prayers and ritual would be offered. Halal food is not because Yahweh is not identified with Allah.

The woman who wrote the original article, Pamela Geller, is Jewish and her reasons may be the same as that of Christians, although one might also see her having antipathy towards Islamic nations that dispute Israel's right to exist. I am not sure where she is coming from; just offering that as a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Here's the problem:

There are two aspects to kosher/halal procedure: one is the mechanics of the kill and the other is the prayers required at the time of the kill. For some, the method of killing (for both kosher and halal procedures) seems more barbaric and hurtful to the animal than more modern methods, but that is not the only issue in this thread. A real sticking point is the prayer over the dying animal. In order to be halal, the name of God (Allah) must be pronounced over every dying animal.

If you are a true Christian who believes in the power of prayer and the energetic force of properly performed ritual, then having a food item where that power has been applied by a rival religion with a rival god is a spiritual wrong, especially when that god has been invoked against you and your country in deadly attacks.

If you're an atheist or agnostic, Butterball could pray over the turkey to any entity and it would be meaningless, since you would believe that no entity was around to hear the prayer and receive the energy of the ritual.

Kosher food is acceptable to many Christians because it is the same God (Yahweh) to whom the prayers and ritual would be offered. Halal food is not because Yahweh is not identified with Allah.

The woman who wrote the original article, Pamela Geller, is Jewish and her reasons may be the same as that of Christians, although one might also see her having antipathy towards Islamic nations that dispute Israel's right to exist. I am not sure where she is coming from; just offering that as a possibility.
    I see what you mean here, but the Quran references the God of Abraham, and I think Islamic prayers are directed at the God of Abraham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post

Maybe it's the year for something new:

:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Maybe it's the year for something new:

:D:D
    Whoa cowboy, back that horse way up! :eek:

I've slaughtered my fair share of livestock, I've done it QUICKLY! Head removed or .22 mag between the eyes, not the barbaric way that leaves the animal struggling to the end...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot