Thread: Halifax County man dies after being shot with stun gun

1. #1 Halifax County man dies after being shot with stun gun 
    Scotland Neck, N.C. ó A 61-year-old Halifax County man died Tuesday, a day after police shocked him with a stun gun while he was riding his bike, family members said.

Scotland Neck Police Chief Joe Williams said they received a call Monday night about a man who fell off of his bicycle and injured himself in the parking lot of the BB&T bank, 1001 Main St. The caller was concerned that the man was drunk.

When Officer John Turner arrived, he saw Roger Anthony pedaling away along 10th Street. He followed Anthony in his patrol car, briefly put on his sirens and lights and yelled out of the window for him to stop, but Anthony continued to ride away, police said.

Williams said Turner then saw Anthony take something out his pocket and put it into his mouth. At that time, Turner got out of the car and yelled for Anthony to stop. When Anthony didn't stop, the officer used a stun gun on him, causing him to fall off of his bike.

Anthony was transported to Pitt County Memorial Hospital, where he was declared brain dead, his sister Gladys Freeman said. He was taken off of life support on Tuesday.

Freeman said her brother was disabled, suffered from seizures and had trouble hearing. She said he was riding his bike home from her house on Sunday night. Anthony lived alone in an independent living community.

Williams would not comment further on the incident, citing an ongoing investigation. Turner, who has been on the force for just over a month, has been placed on administrative leave.

Scotland Neck Mayor James Mills is calling for the State Bureau of Investigation to look into what happened.

"The best we've been able to determine is that he offered no threat," Mills said.

Milton Freeman said Anthony, his brother-in-law, used to smoke cigarettes, drink coffee and ride his bicycle around town. Anthony was nicknamed "Rabbit" because of his big ears.

"Why would you (use a stun gun on) a man on a bike? He didnít do any crime. He wasnít trying to escape. How (was) he going to escape on his bicycle?" Milton Freeman said.
    http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10415249/

Very very sad!:(
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I find it amazing that the cop stun-gunned a guy on a bike. But the real lesson of this story is to revisit some of this "non-lethal" force and get some better information on how bad it really is. Might also want to check the calibrations of the gadgets as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I find it amazing that the cop stun-gunned a guy on a bike. But the real lesson of this story is to revisit some of this "non-lethal" force and get some better information on how bad it really is. Might also want to check the calibrations of the gadgets as well.
    Or better yet, how about he obey the orders of the police officer in the first place. Funny we have entire threads talking about how the OWS idiots deserve to be maced and everyone here approves of the use of less lethal force on them, however, this is an identical case and the attitude here is 180 degrees different. Now why is that? Now if you want to discuss the merits of using a stun gun on someone on a bike, I'm with you but don't excuse the victim here because all he had to do was stop.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Or better yet, how about he obey the orders of the police officer in the first place. Funny we have entire threads talking about how the OWS idiots deserve to be maced and everyone here approves of the use of less lethal force on them, however, this is an identical case and the attitude here is 180 degrees different. Now why is that? Now if you want to discuss the merits of using a stun gun on someone on a bike, I'm with you but don't excuse the victim here because all he had to do was stop.
    Freeman said her brother was disabled, suffered from seizures and had trouble hearing. She said he was riding his bike home from her house on Sunday night. Anthony lived alone in an independent living community.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    So the cop car riding along side of him makes no never mind to you I guess and I'm guessing that the cop should have been clairvoyant enough to know he was disabled. And it says he was hard of hearing, not deaf. I'm no doctor but I believe even someone hard of hearing can hear a siren. But it figures from you Rock to kick the back of LE in yet again.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    So the cop car riding along side of him makes no never mind to you I guess and I'm guessing that the cop should have been clairvoyant enough to know he was disabled. And it says he was hard of hearing, not deaf. I'm no doctor but I believe even someone hard of hearing can hear a siren. But it figures from you Rock to kick the back of LE in yet again.
    Go ahead, have another one of your little fits if it will make you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Go ahead, have another one of your little fits if it will make you feel better.
    And why don't you go blow a goat. Or better yet, screw yourself you power hungry idiot.

Take a little time to calm down.

The only judgement I made when I posted the story was that this was very sad.
    Get yourself under control.