1. #1 More than 200 Occupy L.A. protesters remain in jail 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Let's hear a big Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... :D

pinboy3niner (1000+ posts) Fri Dec-02-11 07:02 AM
    Original message More than 200 Occupy L.A. protesters remain in jail

Civil rights attorneys say many of them may not be charged and should be freed immediately. Most of the arrestees, who face a minimum bail of $5,000, are young, white and male.

By Kate Linthicum and Ben Welsh, Los Angeles Times
    December 2, 2011

More than 200 people arrested during the Occupy L.A. sweep remained in jail Thursday night, drawing protests from civil right attorneys who said many may not face charges and should be freed immediately.

As the total of nearly 300 arrestees began moving through the criminal justice system, Los Angeles Police Department records offered a more detailed portrait of those involved in the final throes of the two-month demonstration.

They show that the arrestees skewed young, white and male, but included a wide spectrum of races and ages. Most came from the Los Angeles area.

Prosecutors have filed criminal charges against 19 protesters, most of whom were released without bail Thursday after appearing before Los Angeles County Superior Court judges. One condition of their release was that they not return to the City Hall area, where the protesters had camped.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-occupy-arrestee...

The release condition effectively bars these citizens even from the designated "free speech area" on the steps of City Hall.

The raid by Chief Charlie Beck's LAPD may have been relatively "softer" than more-brutal police raids at Occupy sites elsewhere, but everything about the treatment of those arrested seems designed to punish and intimidate.

After two days, only about 40 arrestees have been released.

Young, White, Male losers...sounds like DUers.:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Those poor oppressed white males... wait what? I thought these were the priviliged who had everything handed to them on a silver platter? I mean their white, and male. Isn't that what DU has been teaching me?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I've seen comments by the OWS moonbats that advocate being arrested so that they clog up the court system. Evidently they figured that if they created havoc and slowed down the court system that they would somehow "win".

They got their wish with engineering almost 300 people arrested. And they are SHOCKED, I tell ya, SHOCKED that they aren't all out in a matter of a few hours.

[QUOTE]

I was going to post this thread yesterday and then didn't.

link

Fire Walk With Me Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Thu Dec-01-11 04:51 PM
    Original message
    Lawyer: Jailed (Los Angeles) Occupy activists treated harshly Updated at 5:43 PM

Edited on Thu Dec-01-11 05:19 PM by Fire Walk With Me
    By CHRISTINA HOAG
    Associated Press
    Published: Thursday, Dec. 1, 2011 - 12:44 pm

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/01/4093519/lawyer-jailed-...

Ian Thompson told a news conference Thursday that about 250 of the 292 arrestees are still in jail on $5,000 bail although most have only been charged with the misdemeanor crime of failure to disperse.

He says California law clearly states that people charged with misdemeanors are to be cited and released.

Thompson says the city is using high bail amounts and delaying arraignments as an "intimidation tactic" against the protesters. A spokesman for the City Attorney's office did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/01/4093519/lawyer-jailed-...

-------
    dani_e_hill dani hill
    @OccupyLA @OakFoSho i was bailed out around 12 last night. it looks like ppl are going to be held till tomorrow & possibly thru the weekend

brandollars Brandon Silverman
    I was held on police bus for 7 hours, no bathroom,no air - detained total of 26 hours, no phone call for 1st 12

MShocked Michelle Shocked
    Just got bailed this morning from Van Nuys jail with 292 detainees from OccupyLA. I am furious about this awful unlawful arrest!

#OccupyLA
    We want Ruth & all of our detainees freed immediately! Holding an 80 yr old woman for so long on a misdemeanor is unconscionable.

Michelle Shocked
    MShocked Michelle Shocked
    @OccupyLA Bailed from Van Nuys jail this AM. An awful, unlawful arrest! Ruth arrested, most are still in custody. Going to 429 Bauchet now.

haaardride anthony scalise
    I was ketteled,taken on a bus,told city hall is not public property,told we were being made an example of,then thrown in jail

Freedom
    OccupyFreedomLA Freedom
    Waiting for list of 230 remaining in jail. All w no priors should b released today. They'll need rides 3or4pm 429 Bauchet St @OccupyLA #ows

Muffin MacGuffin
    MuffMacGuff Muffin MacGuffin
    @OccupyLA @OLAResources they wouldn't let us bring them into the courthouse, but we have water bottles in our car 4 any released detainees!

The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

These protesters aren't going anywhere soon.

The Occupy LA site was shut down by order of the health department because of a staph outbreak. These guys won't be released until they are deloused and get clearance by the jail health services. The LA county jail is a very busy place. It might take awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsycatlover View Post
    These protesters aren't going anywhere soon.

The Occupy LA site was shut down by order of the health department because of a staph outbreak. These guys won't be released until they are deloused and get clearance by the jail health services. The LA county jail is a very busy place. It might take awhile.

If there are issues with staph infections, the protesters need to give it up. This is for their own good.

I don't know how the LA county jail works, but in Detroit if the 3 jails are all full on Friday at 5, they release all non-violent offenders who have paid up their current fines. They have to make room for all the people who will get arrested over the weekend, but won't be seeing a judge or magistrate until Monday to get bail set.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan
    link

No fair, NJ Card. There's no pic of Blake shooting his ex-wife in an LA Valley restaurant. :D

(Been down to that restaurant in the past. Didn't go after the murder, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    If there are issues with staph infections, the protesters need to give it up. This is for their own good.
    Absolutely. And for the good of the city too.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

I don't know how the LA county jail works, but in Detroit if the 3 jails are all full on Friday at 5, they release all non-violent offenders who have paid up their current fines. They have to make room for all the people who will get arrested over the weekend, but won't be seeing a judge or magistrate until Monday to get bail set.
    What has LA in such a tizzy is that under the law mandating non violent offenders get released, it means Conrad Murray will get early release too.

Oh well.

Just to point out what might be obvious, all those orders releasing non violent offenders don't apply to medical holds.

From what the arrestees are saying, they are being held in closed facilities. They can't see lawyers or familiy. This might not have ever been a staph outbreak but something else.