Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 KS teen gets in trouble for tweet about governor 
    link

proud2BlibKansan Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Nov-24-11 07:50 AM
    Original message
    KS teen gets in trouble for tweet about governor

Emma Sullivan’s trip to Topeka with other high school students to learn about government taught her a few unexpected lessons:

• Gov. Sam Brownback’s office monitors social media for postings containing the governor’s name.

• Some folks exhibit little sense of humor or appreciation of free expression.

• And sometimes a few “joking” words can land a student in the principal’s office, drafting a letter of apology.

All that resulted from a tweet the Shawnee Mission East High School senior wrote Monday during Brownback’s greeting to young people who were brought in for a closer look at the political process.

“Just made mean comments at gov. brownback and told him he sucked, in person #heblowsalot,” Sullivan thumbed from the back of the crowd.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/23...#ixzz1ecszsP4g
    From the above article:

Brownback’s director of communication wasn’t amused when the tweet was spotted during the routine daily monitoring of comments on Twitter and Facebook mentioning the governor’s name.

“That wasn’t respectful,” responded Sherriene Jones-Sontag. “In order to really have a constructive dialogue, there has to be mutual respect.”

Brownback’s brief speech to the students encouraged them to “be active in their government, community and public service,” Jones-Sontag says.

The tweet was the only one brought to her attention that day, she says, and it was passed along to the Youth in Government program, which organized the students’ visit to the capital.

“It was important for the organization to be aware of the comments their students were making.” Jones-Sontag says. “It’s also important for students to recognize the power of social media, how lasting it is. It is on the Internet.”

Sullivan says things developed quickly: She landed in the principal’s office for a scolding that lasted nearly an hour. She says she was told the “not so nice” comments had embarrassed her school and the district and that “damage control” with the governor’s office was the next step.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/23...#ixzz1edeBET9F
    So it wasn't Brownback that called the school. It was the organization that organized the visit.
    FoxNewsSucks Donating Member (236 posts) Thu Nov-24-11 09:36 AM
    Response to Reply #2
    22. If only she'd spelled his name correctly -

Sam BROWNHOLE, then his office spies might not have found the tweet while they were searching.

He was Senator Brownhole, and now he's Gov. Brownhole. An embarrassment to Kansas.
    annabanana Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Nov-24-11 07:57 AM
    Response to Original message
    3. I support that kid's right to freedom of speech..

And she's absolutely correct!
    DiverDave Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Nov-24-11 07:57 AM
    4. Once again we see the rethug's cant take it.

It's called free speech, you stinking fascist pig.

Good for her, altho I would have told them to
    pound sand instead of writing an apology.
    Are_grits_groceries Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Nov-24-11 07:57 AM
    5. Thin skinned much?

What happened to the 1st Amendment? He's a public figure and as long as it's not threats, he should STFU!
    The student learned that 'She wasn't in America anymore.'

I wish she would refuse to write the apology, and take it to court if she is punished.
    proud2BlibKansan Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Nov-24-11 07:59 AM
    Response to Reply #5
    6. Her mom was just interviewed on local TV

Edited on Thu Nov-24-11 07:59 AM by proud2BlibKansan
    She's pretty angry. She thinks they are blowing this way out of proportion.
    Is it any wonder so many kids are so rude and without manners when parents condone rudeness if it's their little one being rude to someone they don't agree with.
    dixiegrrrrl Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Nov-24-11 08:13 AM
    Response to Reply #6
    13. This is way way more than "blowing it out of proportion".

The school is colluding with the Governor's office to repress freedom of speech.

The school is sending a message to students that repressing freedom of speech is ok.
    Read again what the school told the girl.
    Read again how the girl is "afraid" of what the school can do to ruin her college chances, over a tweet.

This is part of the pattern of government controlling education that is happening all around the country.

I would be suing, if it were my kid.
    no_hypocrisy Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Nov-24-11 08:21 AM
    15. She didn't threaten Brownback's life. She exercised her First Amendment Right to Expression

and her right to dissent.
    dsc Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Nov-24-11 09:40 AM
    23. From what I gather the school sponsered the trip

and thus have every right to make the girl apologize for the tweet. Let's be blunt here. If this were a school district and Obama and the district refused to punish the student nearly everyone in this thread would surmise the school district agreed with the tweet. It is no different here. The governor on the other hand is in the wrong.
    He/she is right. If a student tweeted that ON A SCHOOL TRIP about Obama they would be livid. When conservatives are uncivil it's "hate", when liberals do it it's "free speech" and back slapping time.
    Major Nikon Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Nov-24-11 10:32 AM
    Response to Reply #23
    29. It sounds more like they were herded in and forced to listen to Brownback’s propaganda

The student identified herself as a liberal, so I doubt she would have voluntarily gone. So it sounds like the price of her being involved with the Youth in Government program was being force fed propaganda by Brownback. And the principal berated her for an hour? Sounds like he's a wingnut. And no, I wouldn't have agreed with the school district regardless. This is obviously free speech, and I may not agree with what someone has to say, but I'm not going to claim they don't have a right to say it.

These same nose picking liberals would be outraged over any comments like this about their favorite Marxist (DIMoRAT) party members.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

DU should STFU about Free Speech until they start to practice it.

Hypocrits.
    Last edited by Dan D. Doty; 11-24-2011 at 02:45 PM.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Power CUer
    Actually, I think it was kind of stupid to go after the kid. No one would have heard about it or cared on whit. Thanks to the organization and the school, the Senator will now be considered way too thin skinned and possibly against free speech, even though he had nothing to do with the actual retaliation. If I were the Senator, I would come out with a statement saying there is a First Amendment, the school (and organization) acted way too hastily, and the kid doesn't need to write a letter of apology. That would result in very good press for Brownback and will put the silly dumbass tweet in its proper perspective.

I don't really agree, 'Free speech' doesn't mean 'Consequence-free speech,' if you are at an event as the guest of some group, and you make an asshole out of yourself and embarrass them, they are completely within the bounds of propriety and law to chastise your ungrateful ass and send you home in disgrace for that.
    Last edited by DumbAss Tanker; 11-25-2011 at 09:32 PM.

She made "mean comments and told him he sucked"?

And now she has to be lectured for an hour, is being forced to write an apology and the principal is giving her the specific talking points?

Brownback, his staff, the school and the principal can all go fuck themselves. And if Brownback's staff just read that comment, go fuck yourselves again.

The school way over-reacted and I think the governor's office was wrong in contacting the school regarding an issue of free speech. The school probably has a rule about using cell phones during class time, which would include a lecture during a field trip to the capitol. That's what she should be punished for.

They would have wanted to burn this kid at the stake if she'd said this about the previous Gov or *gasp* the President.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

She was wrong just for speaking to an adult that way.

It's not an issue of "free speech", it's an issue of common courtesy. It's a direct reflection on the school, and I believe THAT is what the principals point is.

Criticize him regarding his policies-appropriate.

“Just made mean comments at gov. brownback and told him he sucked, in person #heblowsalot,

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/23...#ixzz1f1tDq0qm
    This is just plain rude.