Thread: Demonstrators Plan to Occupy Retailers on Black Friday

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49
  1. #1 Demonstrators Plan to Occupy Retailers on Black Friday 
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,095
    By: Cadie Thompson
    Producer, CNBC.com
    Some demonstrators are planning to occupy retailers on Black Friday to protest "the business that are in the pockets of Wall Street."

    Organizers are encouraging consumers to either occupy or boycott retailers that are publicly traded, according to the Stop Black Friday website.

    The goal of the movement is to impact the profits of major corporations this holiday season.
    "The idea is simple, hit the corporations that corrupt and control American politics where it hurts, their profits, " states the Occupy Black Friday Facebook page.

    A few of the retailers the protesters plan on targeting include Neiman Marcus, Amazon and Wal-Mart.

    Their website states the following:

    "Keep in mind that we are not occupying small businesses or hardworking people—we must make a distinction between the businesses that are in the pockets of Wall Street and the businesses that serve our local communities.

    We are NOT anti-capitalist. Just anti-crapitalist.

    Below is a shortlist for publicly traded large businesses to Occupy or to boycott on Black Friday. Luckily, most of them don't have good presents anyway. If you want to see the top 100 retail businesses for 2010 to boycott, click here.

    On Black Friday, Occupy or boycott:

    http://www.cnbc.com/id/45402815
    Shoppers have your pepper spray handy!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,319
    Impede me in any shape, way, or form and you'll find out what happens when the glutes meet concrete. For the wee wee's of the world, I will physically move you out of my way.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    I would actually like them to occupy my local super walmart. It's such an obnoxious place.

    Saturday evening I thought I had beat the system. I wore earplugs to Walmart. They effectively deadened most of the stuff which routinely irritates the hell out of me; the screaming infants, the unparented children and the adults who were, as well as the walkie-talkies ie the people who manage to share their every thought in the course of grocery shopping. Of course, it also helped quiet the screaming harpie on the PA system and the now ubiquitous television sets on the end of every other aisle.

    Or so I thought. There was this one bunch who were so loud and obnoxious even their peers were distancing themselves.

    And to top it all off, at 8:30 when I went to check out, there were three open lines and an express lane for a 100,000 square foot supercenter. I really wouldn't mind if they had some kind of bench system for waiting in line. But after a long day, and then hiking around Walmart, I want to sit a minute.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Grouchy Old Broad Kay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Midland, Tx
    Posts
    3,699
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Impede me in any shape, way, or form and you'll find out what happens when the glutes meet concrete. For the wee wee's of the world, I will physically move you out of my way.
    Oh this will be fun. Can you just imagine the dweebs we've been seeing in the OWS videos standing between a crowd of Walmartites and the Black Friday special. Lord have mercy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Apache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tree rats are watching you
    Posts
    6,716
    I could really care less about black friday, the specials, the crowds, the whole mess....

    But what I give to see them impede my mom (God rest her soul), on that day :D

    It would take weeks to identify the victims
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

    We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

    R.I.P. Crockspot
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Oh this will be fun. Can you just imagine the dweebs we've been seeing in the OWS videos standing between a crowd of Walmartites and the Black Friday special. Lord have mercy.
    You have a point so to you lurkers out there, have the guts to be standing in front of Walmart's doors Thursday night at 9:59pm.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,125
    So how are they going to prevent people from shopping on Amazon? Macys.com?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I would actually like them to occupy my local super walmart. It's such an obnoxious place.

    Saturday evening I thought I had beat the system. I wore earplugs to Walmart. They effectively deadened most of the stuff which routinely irritates the hell out of me; the screaming infants, the unparented children and the adults who were, as well as the walkie-talkies ie the people who manage to share their every thought in the course of grocery shopping. Of course, it also helped quiet the screaming harpie on the PA system and the now ubiquitous television sets on the end of every other aisle.

    Or so I thought. There was this one bunch who were so loud and obnoxious even their peers were distancing themselves.

    And to top it all off, at 8:30 when I went to check out, there were three open lines and an express lane for a 100,000 square foot supercenter. I really wouldn't mind if they had some kind of bench system for waiting in line. But after a long day, and then hiking around Walmart, I want to sit a minute.
    Nova, it has to suck to be you. Based upon your location, the people you are talking about are Obama voters, your team.

    Since we have some history together, I invite you down to the red county of Charlotte, we will shop together at my Wal-mart. You won't experience the hell that defines your location.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Nova, it has to suck to be you. Based upon your location, the people you are talking about are Obama voters, your team.

    Since we have some history together, I invite you down to the red county of Charlotte, we will shop together at my Wal-mart. You won't experience the hell that defines your location.
    I appreciate the offer, When I simply cannot bear the thought of Skyway Walmart, I splurge and go to Walmart in Pi-nellas Park. As a rule, Walmarts which sell guns and ammo are superior to those which don't.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Impede me in any shape, way, or form and you'll find out what happens when the glutes meet concrete. For the wee wee's of the world, I will physically move you out of my way.
    There is no force in this world more terrifying than a Big Tough Man who isn't able to go shopping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •