Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Occupy Philly is still there. (3 1/2 hours later) 
    Power CUer
    Apparently lots of silly speeches being repeated, but no one has been pushed off the premises yet. Anyone here from Philly?

2. #2 Chaos, Then Resolve At Occupy Philly’s (Likely) Final Dilworth GA 
    As Occupy Philly’s 7 p.m. General Assembly formed in front of City Hall last night, paramount on everyone’s mind was the encampment’s imminent eviction.

“We plant the seed that one day will grow,” intoned a facilitator who kicked off the proceedings, as the others repeated the chant via “People’s Mic.”

But within moments the GA was disrupted by sign-carrying Occupier Michael Blas (pictured, in white T-shirt)—one of the movement’s higher-profile demonstrators (and whom many in attendance told PW has been a “troublemaker,” “agitator,” and “divisive person” over the past two months). For nearly 90 minutes Blas shouted his concerns about the rift between Occupy Philly and the homeless community that’s become part of the demonstration, and accused Occupy Philly of making off with donations meant for the homeless.

The scene was chaotic.

As Blas screamed and paced back and forth, the other 200 or so demonstrators on hand tried to drown him out with People’s Mic chants and songs. Many Occupiers tried to calm Blas down; others shouted at him to “fucking leave.” Some of Blas’ supporters, including several homeless people, demanded the group let Blas speak. “Mob mentality! Mob mentality!” Blas screamed. Several loud verbal skirmishes broke out among various protesters. There was some pushing and shoving. At one point Blas took a fist to the face. “What happened to the peaceful protest?” he yelled.

Several Occupiers told PW Blas’ accusations were baseless. “He just likes to hear himself yell,” said one man. “He’s ridiculous. He doesn’t represent Occupy Philly in any way.”

One Occupier brought out a bullhorn to try to reign in the chaos and continue the GA agenda. An older woman asked to speak—when she was given the bullhorn she started loudly singing Whitney Houston’s “The Greatest Love Of All.”

“You gotta be kidding me!” yelled one exasperated Occupier.

Finally, close to 8:30 p.m., a facilitator announced that the GA was moving to the Arch Street Methodist Church. The group walked over there (sans most of the GA’s homeless participants); so did the worked-up Blas, who continued screaming that he “would not be silenced.” But several demonstrators managed to distract him while the rest quickly filed into the church and locked the door behind them.

Calm and quiet was restored as for the next two hours the 150 people inside the church agreed on several proposals: Helping Occupy Philly’s homeless community relocate to Logan Circle ahead of today’s eviction. Meeting at Rittenhouse Square at 4 p.m. the day following the eviction (so, perhaps tomorrow) and then marching to PPD headquarters (aka the Roundhouse) at 8th and Arch to protest any arrests and hold a GA. And using the Friends Center as a site for future GAs.

There was no vote on whether or not Occupiers should leave ahead of the eviction or defy the order and risk arrest. It was clear that the decision will rest with each individual demonstrator, though it was suggested that those deciding to remain should sit down and lock arms in silent protest and maintain a non-violent stance.

At the end, one facilitator began to tear up. “Remember what solidarity is about,” she said. Others hugged, and some sang “Solidarity Forever” as they shuffled out into the night.
    http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/...al-dilworth-ga
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Power CUer
    A screaming homeless man and bad Whitney Houston?

It sounds like Saturday Night Live. :D

Power CUer
    It's almost 2 AM there and they have the bongos out. Neither the mayor nor the police came. I hope the authorities have a plan because it doesn't look like they are leaving any time soon.

LA is supposed to be dumped out soon too. Watch, they won't do it. And traffic will still be bad tomorrow.

Edited:
    And they didn't.

I can only think that they have something else planned. They treated Occupy Philly and Occupy LA the same way: worked them up to a specific deadline and then didn't raid. Looks like the same strategy. My guess is an early morning raid for each of them sometime this week.
    Last edited by Elspeth; 11-28-2011 at 03:50 AM.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Cops are on the scene at LA...

http://www.ustream.tv/occupyoakland

May the FORCE be with you!

Power CUer
    Good Morning.

They're still there in LA and Philly:

Occupy L.A. protesters to seek court order to block eviction

Occupiers defy deadline, quiet reigns at Dilworth

At least in Philly it gets cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Apparently lots of silly speeches being repeated, but no one has been pushed off the premises yet. Anyone here from Philly?
    They cut the electricity off to Occupy Philly.

The deadline did come and go yesterday and I was a bit upset that the city had done nothing. You can't lay down an ultimatum and then back away from it. It weakens your position going forward and emboldens the enemy.

That said however, the mayor of Philly was in Chicago and not coming back until today (Monday) so that probably explains why no action was taken on Sunday night (him being out of town and such). We'll see if he has the balls now to back up what he says.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

The deadline did come and go yesterday and I was a bit upset that the city had done nothing. You can't lay down an ultimatum and then back away from it. It weakens your position going forward and emboldens the enemy.

That said however, the mayor of Philly was in Chicago and not coming back until today (Monday) so that probably explains why no action was taken on Sunday night (him being out of town and such). We'll see if he has the balls now to back up what he says.
    I think the time has come to take really serious measures. It's gone on long enough. In LA, it's really bad and Tony Villar is such a piece of crap that he let them walk all over him. Lots of sound and fury that night, but nothing but 4 arrests. Hell, more people were arrested and injured in Wal Marts on Black Friday.

BTW, I was reading your paper at Philly.com and ran across an article that Phila. police actually invented the term Black Friday in the 1950s:

‘Black Friday’ started in Philly

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

I'm disappointed, this coming from the city that dropped a bomb on the MOVE house. I wouldn't mind them repeating that feet again. :D

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I'm disappointed, this coming from the city that dropped a bomb on the MOVE house. I wouldn't mind them repeating that feet again. :D
    They dropped a BOMB??