Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Iran: We'll fire 150,000 missiles at Israel if attacked 
    PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Defense minister Vahidi tells army volunteers 'Israel has to be punished for what it has done to the Muslims in Palestine'
    ranian Defense Minister General Ahmad Vahidi said Israel would be attacked with 150,000 missiles if it launches any military action against the Islamic Republic, the Iran Independent News Service reported Sunday.
    Speaking before 50,000 army volunteers in Bushehr, the minister said "Iran is not Iraq or Afghanistan, if the Americans make the mistake and attack Iran, we will show them how to fight,” adding “Israel has to be punished for what it has done to the Muslims in Palestine and Lebanon."

However, according to Iranian news outlets Vahidi did not specify if the missiles would be fired from Iran or other locations.

On Saturday a senior commander of Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guard said the country would target NATO's missile defense shield in Turkey if the US or Israel attacks the Islamic Republic.

Gen. Amir Ali Hajizadeh, head of the Guards' aerospace division, was quoted by the semi-official Mehr news agency as saying the warning is part of a new defense strategy to counter what it sees as an increase in threats from the US and Israel.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...153840,00.html
    Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
    Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
    21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    And clever in their own sight! Isaiah 5:20-21 NASB

You know, if I was going to throw out a number that was such an obvious lie about my capabilities, I'd just say 150,000,000. It's a lot more entertaining.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I'll see your "150,000" scuds and raise you 150 Cruise Missles.

My money is on us. every time.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made so and kept so by the exertions of better men [and women] than himself." ~John Stuart Mill, 1806 - 1873

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    You know, if I was going to throw out a number that was such an obvious lie about my capabilities, I'd just say 150,000,000. It's a lot more entertaining.
    The number is hyperbole, but the threat is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Witmaster View Post
    I'll see your "150,000" scuds and raise you 150 Cruise Missles.

My money is on us. every time.
    It all depends on who makes that decision. I'd bet even money that in the event of a WMD attack on Israel, Obama would do nothing. The NATO allies are hamstrung by their Muslim populations and even without them, most of them would have no problem with a genocidal war against Jews, having actively collaborated in the last one.

And, Iran has gone far beyond Scuds. http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/nuke/RS22758.pdf:

In
    February 2008, Iran reportedly launched a low-orbit research rocket in preparation for a later
    satellite launch. The Bush White House called that launch “unfortunate.” In August 2008, Iran
    said it successfully launched a rocket that could carry its first satellite, but U.S. defense officials
    said the test aimed failed shortly after launch. In early February 2009, Iran successfully launched
    its Omid (Hope) satellite on a Safir-2 (or Ambassador-2) rocket , which has a range of about 155
    miles. A Pentagon spokesman said this launch was “clearly a concern of ours” because “there are
    dual-use capabilities here which could be applied toward the development of long-range
    missiles.”
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

It all depends on who makes that decision. I'd bet even money that in the event of a WMD attack on Israel, Obama would do nothing. The NATO allies are hamstrung by their Muslim populations and even without them, most of them would have no problem with a genocidal war against Jews, having actively collaborated in the last one.

And, Iran has gone far beyond Scuds. http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/nuke/RS22758.pdf:

In
    February 2008, Iran reportedly launched a low-orbit research rocket in preparation for a later
    satellite launch. The Bush White House called that launch “unfortunate.” In August 2008, Iran
    said it successfully launched a rocket that could carry its first satellite, but U.S. defense officials
    said the test aimed failed shortly after launch. In early February 2009, Iran successfully launched
    its Omid (Hope) satellite on a Safir-2 (or Ambassador-2) rocket , which has a range of about 155
    miles. A Pentagon spokesman said this launch was “clearly a concern of ours” because “there are
    dual-use capabilities here which could be applied toward the development of long-range
    missiles.”

Although I know little about technology, this (155 mile range) seems like a serious risk factor for Iran's immediate neighbors more than it is to Israel. Which means, a threat to our military personnel in Iraq and Afganistan.

When a crazy man like Iran's leader says repeatedly that he is going to destroy Israel, no one should really be surprised when he tries to do so. Like Hitler-he laid out all of his plans in Mein Kampf, long before anyone took him seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

Let's assume for a second it is.

The Iranians either target Israel with their version of "Missile Command" an thousands of missile strikes or Nuke them into oblivion.

What happens to all those Palestinians they supposedly want to have their land back?
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

As far as 'Missiles' goes, they might have more like 150 that would have some chance of getting near to Israel. About everything else they have with a rocket motor falls into the 'Free rocket' category, i.e. it's mostly unguided tactical weapons, artillery rockets - the stuff they have been sending to Hezbollah through Syria for firing at Israel for many years anyway. All of the ones that they haven't fired are bound to eventually be fired at Guess Who anyway, IMHO, whether the Israelis attack Iran or not. There certainly is a shitload of those rockets, many thousands to be sure, but just how many thousands is an open question.
    Last edited by DumbAss Tanker; 11-28-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Although I know little about technology, this (155 mile range) seems like a serious risk factor for Iran's immediate neighbors more than it is to Israel. Which means, a threat to our military personnel in Iraq and Afganistan.

When a crazy man like Iran's leader says repeatedly that he is going to destroy Israel, no one should really be surprised when he tries to do so. Like Hitler-he laid out all of his plans in Mein Kampf, long before anyone took him seriously.
    The lesson of the Holocaust is that when dictators promise murder, they mean it. We pretend otherwise because taking action carries risks that we wish to avoid, but the risks of inaction are far greater.
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post

The Iranians either target Israel with their version of "Missile Command" an thousands of missile strikes or Nuke them into oblivion.

What happens to all those Palestinians they supposedly want to have their land back?
    They die in their squalid camps. Notice that no Arab country has ever permitted them to settle, even Jordan, which meets every possible definition of a Palestinian state. To the Sunni Arabs, they were always pawns in their war on Israel.

To the Shiite Persian mullahs of Iran, who consider Sunnis to be apostates, and Arabs to be nomadic desert barbarians, they are less than that. The various European powers make the same noises that the Arabs do, because they want oil, and don't particularly care what happens any Arabs, much less what happens to six million Jews in Israel (as their actions when the previous six million in Europe were killed should amply demonstrate). The only people who care about the lives of the Palestinians are the Israelis who feed, clothe and house them and the United States, which keeps pressuring Israel to make concessions to a people that want nothing but death, preferably of Jews and westerners, but their own if no one else is available.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    As far as 'Missiles' goes, they might have more like 150 that would have some chance of getting near to Israel. About everything else they have with a rocket motor falls into the 'Free rocket' category, i.e. it's mostly unguided tactical weapons, artillery rockets - the stuff they have been sending to Hezbollah through Syria for firing at Israel for many years anyway. All of the ones that they haven't fired are bound to eventually be fired at Guess Who anyway, IMHO, whether the Israelis attack Iran or not. There certainly is a shitload of those rockets, many thousands to be sure, but just how many thousands is an open question.
    In terms of rockets, I've seen estimates in the 9-10 thousand range, but as you said, they are short range rockets. The issue with the range of Iran's launch platform is that it can put a payload into orbit. An orbital payload can be directed to strike targets anywhere in the world. The 155-mile range for the initial launch platform is just the first stage of the weapon system.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

That's the thing. The middle east don't really care that much about the Palestinians. They care that Palestinians are coming on their land for refuge, but I don't think that they care that much about the Palestinians. I think a lot of them also believe they're supposed to fight for land that used to be Muslim land. I think Iran leadership should be taken seriously just because they're nuts. I did believe that Israel should do its own fighting since we already give them enough aid. I think they need our resources though for finding out where missles are at. If we fire, we need to make sure we can destroy most or all of the missle sites.

Palestinians are Arabs. Iranians are Persian. They won't give a damn.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.