Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1 This is PC Gone Way Too Far 
    Senior Member Junebug68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    345
    Why does everything have to be sooooooooo PC when is comes to Islam??????

    Council: Mongtomery schools cave to pressue with Islam bookJun 7, 2008 8:21 AM (2 days ago) by Leah Fabel, The Examiner

    Washington, D.C. (Map, News) -

    A new report issued by the American Textbook Council says books approved for use in local school districts for teaching middle and high school students about Islam caved in to political correctness and dumbed down the topic at a critical moment in its history.

    "Textbook editors try to avoid any subject that could turn into a political grenade," wrote Gilbert Sewall, director of the council, who railed against five popular history texts for "adjust[ing] the definition of jihad or sharia or remov[ing] these words from lessons to avoid inconvenient truths."

    Sewall complains the word jihad has gone through an "amazing cultural reorchestration" in textbooks, losing any connotation of violence. He cites Houghton Mifflin's popular middle school text, "Across the Centuries," which has been approved for use in Montgomery County Schools. It defines "jihad" as a struggle "to do one's best to resist temptation and overcome evil." ............

    Sewall's report blames publishing companies for allowing the influence of groups like the California-based Council on Islamic Education to serve throughout the editorial process as "screeners" for textbooks, softening or deleting potentially unflattering topics within the faith.
    This is just STUPID! These kids need to learn the truth about radical islam, not the fairy tale version.


    http://www.examiner.com/a-1429570~Co...d=temp-popular
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

    It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Politically tired. Lanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,245
    What they say about the word "jihad" is correct. Only recently has jihad come to mean doing terrorist attacks.

    There are Muslim children in the school system whose safety and wellbeing have to be considered. If one convinces the kids that Muslims are nothing but a bunch of terrorists, then most kids won't want to be friends with the Muslim student. Many of them will verbally abuse the Muslim student on a regular basis. And then some kids will threaten and do physical harm to the Muslim student.

    I'm not saying that Islam should be promoted as a wonderful religion, but for the sake of student safety and not promoting ignorance, I think it's important that Islam not be promoted as a terrorist religion. Personally, I'm already upset that the kids at my niece's school got my niece convinced that Obama was a Muslim and that Islam was a terrorist religion. I had to tell her more than once that he's not a Muslim and that most Muslims do not think that terrorism is okay.

    We already have a system promoting hate against Islam. Why do we need the educators participating?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Rebel Yell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    5,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    We already have a system promoting hate against America. Why do we need the educators participating?
    fixed;) That's actually a little more accurate.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member AlmostThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A Great Red State
    Posts
    1,920
    PC went way to far when the words, POLITICAL and CORRECTNESS were strung together. Those words used together are obscene. :mad:
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Rebel Yell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    5,181
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    PC went way to far when the words, POLITICAL and CORRECTNESS were strung together. Those words used together are obscene. :mad:
    The two worst phrases in the english language, IMO. Politically Correct and Disenfranchised Voter.:mad:
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member AlmostThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A Great Red State
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    ...... but for the sake of student safety and not promoting ignorance....
    That is hysterical. The Left has dumbed down the educational system for 40 years and you're worried about not promoting ignorance? The Left's mantra in the 60's and ever since has been "if it feels good, do it", sex, drugs, whatever. And you want to argue "for student safety"? You've got to be kidding.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member Junebug68's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    What they say about the word "jihad" is correct. Only recently has jihad come to mean doing terrorist attacks.

    There are Muslim children in the school system whose safety and wellbeing have to be considered. If one convinces the kids that Muslims are nothing but a bunch of terrorists, then most kids won't want to be friends with the Muslim student. Many of them will verbally abuse the Muslim student on a regular basis. And then some kids will threaten and do physical harm to the Muslim student.

    I'm not saying that Islam should be promoted as a wonderful religion, but for the sake of student safety and not promoting ignorance, I think it's important that Islam not be promoted as a terrorist religion. Personally, I'm already upset that the kids at my niece's school got my niece convinced that Obama was a Muslim and that Islam was a terrorist religion. I had to tell her more than once that he's not a Muslim and that most Muslims do not think that terrorism is okay.

    We already have a system promoting hate against Islam. Why do we need the educators participating?
    Fine, then say "This is what jihad used to mean, and this is what it means now." Either way, call a spade a spade. Radical islam is evil, pure and simple. There's no reason to lie to the kids, just make a distinction between radical islam and non-radical islam (if it exists.) Either way, they deserve to know the truth about the danger they face and not be feed some rainbows and sunshine version of history.
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

    It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Zeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tiny Redneck town in Texas
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebug68 View Post
    Fine, then say "This is what jihad used to mean, and this is what it means now." Either way, call a spade a spade. Radical islam is evil, pure and simple. There's no reason to lie to the kids, just make a distinction between radical islam and non-radical islam (if it exists.) Either way, they deserve to know the truth about the danger they face and not be feed some rainbows and sunshine version of history.

    Be interesting to see the books take on the crusades.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

    It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    What they say about the word "jihad" is correct. Only recently has jihad come to mean doing terrorist attacks.
    So should we teach kids that gay people are simply just happy?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Rebel Yell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    5,181
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    So should we teach kids that gay people are simply just happy?
    That should be the quote of the day.:D
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •