1. #1 American Airlines files for bankruptcy 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    By Chris Isidore and Blake Ellis@CNNMoneyNovember 29, 2011: 8:14 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- American Airlines' parent company, AMR Corp., announced Tuesday that it has filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy.

AMR said American Airlines, American Eagle and all other subsidiaries will honor all tickets and reservations and operate normal flight schedules during the bankruptcy filing process, using its $4.1 billion in cash.
    LINK
    May the FORCE be with you!

I have been researching flights to Panama, What in the H*** are those taxes paying for???:mad:
    The taxes are nearly as high as the tickets!
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

No sympathy from me. Worst flying experience of my life was with American Airlines. Would never have flown with them again.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    I have been researching flights to Panama, What in the H*** are those taxes paying for???:mad:
    The taxes are nearly as high as the tickets!
    Shit, Panama is relatively low tax compared to a lot of other places.

Taxes on a flight between the US and Panama City: $109.60. $32.60 US international flight excise tax, $5.50 US Customs user fee, $7.00 US federal inspection fee, $5.00 US Department of Agriculture APHIS fee, $7.50 US security fee (allegedly pays the cost of TSA inspection), $40.00 Panamanian airport departure tax, $12.00 passenger facility fee (either $3 or $4.50 for each airport through which you walk; this allegedly pays for the airport's day-to-day cost of operation, so be sure to use up $3 worth of electricity and water when you're in the airport).

Compare that to, say, a trip to Germany. A low-season ticket to Frankfurt has a base fare of $236, and taxes of $619.20! $32.60 US international flight excise tax, $5.50 US Customs user fee, $7.00 US federal inspection fee, $5.00 APHIS fee, $7.50 US security fee, $12.00 passenger facility fee, $8.70 German security fee, $40.20 German international excise tax, $60.70 German air travel tax, and $440 in international travel security fees.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    Shit, Panama is relatively low tax compared to a lot of other places.

Taxes on a flight between the US and Panama City: $109.60. $32.60 US international flight excise tax, $5.50 US Customs user fee, $7.00 US federal inspection fee, $5.00 US Department of Agriculture APHIS fee, $7.50 US security fee (allegedly pays the cost of TSA inspection), $40.00 Panamanian airport departure tax, $12.00 passenger facility fee (either $3 or $4.50 for each airport through which you walk; this allegedly pays for the airport's day-to-day cost of operation, so be sure to use up $3 worth of electricity and water when you're in the airport).

Compare that to, say, a trip to Germany. A low-season ticket to Frankfurt has a base fare of $236, and taxes of $619.20! $32.60 US international flight excise tax, $5.50 US Customs user fee, $7.00 US federal inspection fee, $5.00 APHIS fee, $7.50 US security fee, $12.00 passenger facility fee, $8.70 German security fee, $40.20 German international excise tax, $60.70 German air travel tax, and $440 in international travel security fees.
    That's what I'm saying. Is there any justification for this thievery?:mad:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

I've had some great American flights and some awful ones, but they always treated uniformed personnel really well. One of their policies is that vacant first class seats are given to Soldiers in uniform at the gate. I'll miss them.

OTOH, I'm sure that if they are willing to turn over a bunch of stock to their unions and announce that they will put solar panels on the wings of their aircraft, they can probably wangle some stimulus founds, though.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

So check this out ..... WTF

http://m.mywesttexas.com/mobile/top_...cc4c03286.html

Gulf Air announces service to Midland
    From Staff Reports | Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Middle Eastern-based Gulf Airlines announced this month it will add service to 22 American cities, including Midland.
    The addition of service, though, won’t mean any new flights to Midland. Service to the Tall City through Gulf Airlines, which is the national carrier of the Kingdom of Bahrain, is provided through a partnership with American Airlines, according to a release posted by the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post

Middle Eastern-based Gulf Airlines announced this month it will add service to 22 American cities, including Midland.
    The addition of service, though, won’t mean any new flights to Midland. Service to the Tall City through Gulf Airlines, which is the national carrier of the Kingdom of Bahrain, is provided through a partnership with American Airlines, according to a release posted by the company.
    ?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I've had some great American flights and some awful ones, but they always treated uniformed personnel really well. One of their policies is that vacant first class seats are given to Soldiers in uniform at the gate. I'll miss them.

OTOH, I'm sure that if they are willing to turn over a bunch of stock to their unions and announce that they will put solar panels on the wings of their aircraft, they can probably wangle some stimulus founds, though.
    They also bring uniforms into the Admiral's Club for free. I was stuck at DFW for a couple of hours about three years ago and there were about five guys in BDUs (or whatever they're called now) in the A Club, which was great, because I was able to buy them each a couple of beers while we were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post

Uhm...

So what? American has had a partnership with Gulf Air for ages. Good airline. They also have a partnership with Royal Jordanian and with Etihad Airlines, based out of Abu Dhabi. This is very common. All major US carriers have partnerships with numerous international airlines.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.