Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Herman Cain "reassessing" candidacy after affair claim 
    Power CUer
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...-affair-claim/

The Herman Cain campaign is "reassessing" its strategy in the wake of a woman's claim that she and Cain had engaged in a 13-year extramarital relationship, a senior staffer to the campaign told CBS News.

The staffer made the statement following reports that Cain told supporters Tuesday morning that he is reassessing whether to remain in the Republican presidential race.

On a five-minute conference call, Cain told his senior staff that he would make a decision on staying in the race "over the next several days," according to National Review.

And the Des Moines Register reports that Cain said on the call that he needs to decide if the affair allegation creates "too much of a cloud" for him to continue his run.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I'm disappointed, but it is what it is.

Last night I "reassessed" my monthly contribution to his campaign. He can't win. And maybe he shouldn't.:(

The Democrat Party's Schutzstaffel ÜbergruppenFührer David Axelrod, and Politico's Sturmabteilung OberstgruppenFührer Jim Vandehei are just getting started. Just a bunch of Nazis. They cannot tolerate a conservative African-American like Cain, or a strong conservative woman like Palin, as a Republican presidential candidate. Their meme is that the Republican Party is the party only of old, rich, evil white men.

Eratta: The correct spelling in the pic should be Arschloch........heh, heh!

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Power CUer
    Now Newt Gingrich is moving up in the polls - I wonder if the Democrats will find any marital dirt on him??
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Now Newt Gingrich is moving up in the polls - I wonder if the Democrats will find any marital dirt on him??
    If the Democrats don't his ex wives will!

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    I'm disappointed, but it is what it is.

Last night I "reassessed" my monthly contribution to his campaign. He can't win. And maybe he shouldn't.:(
    Yep. It's highly unlikely that all these women are just out in some grand conspiracy against Cain. Even if it was, he must have one heck of a questionable past for this stuff to even surface
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Funny how we are watching Cain crash based on "allegations".

Yet Newt basically screwed everything that walked while married 3 different times and is going to get a pass on it.

Do American's really have that short a memory?
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Funny how we are watching Cain crash based on "allegations".

Yet Newt basically screwed everything that walked while married 3 different times and is going to get a pass on it.

Do American's really have that short a memory?
    Not a short memory, but a "convenient" one. At this point for a lot of people, if a conservative could beat Romney, it wouldn't matter if he used to coach at Penn State or Syracuse.... if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Yep. It's highly unlikely that all these women are just out in some grand conspiracy against Cain. Even if it was, he must have one heck of a questionable past for this stuff to even surface
    I'm still not really buying the sexual assault/harassment allegations. Those had entirely too much of an air of bullshit about them. Plus, they managed to just turn up and then vanish within the span of one week? No way. That's an orchestrated political attack.

This one, though, is far more plausible. Ongoing affair of a man who is frequently out of town is very plausible indeed. In fact, my father did exactly that back in the '70s and '80s. Carried on an affair for something like sixteen years. When you really stop and think about it, it's not really all that hard to do, from a logistical standpoint. And while I don't particularly care where someone sticks their willie, this does become a pretty big trust issue, AFAIC.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    I'm still not really buying the sexual assault/harassment allegations. Those had entirely too much of an air of bullshit about them. Plus, they managed to just turn up and then vanish within the span of one week? No way. That's an orchestrated political attack.

This one, though, is far more plausible. Ongoing affair of a man who is frequently out of town is very plausible indeed. In fact, my father did exactly that back in the '70s and '80s. Carried on an affair for something like sixteen years. When you really stop and think about it, it's not really all that hard to do, from a logistical standpoint. And while I don't particularly care where someone sticks their willie, this does become a pretty big trust issue, AFAIC.
    That's pretty much my take. The other accounts, by women who were all out of Chicago, and who claimed fleeting contacts with Cain in which he just happened to grope them out of nowhere rang false. This one, OTOH, doesn't, for all of the reasons that you cited, plus the fact that Cain admitted that he knew the woman, but his wife did not, and there are numerous phone contacts between them. Plus, in the presence of a reporter, she called Cain and he called her back within minutes. Of course, Bill Clinton's numerous affairs didn't bother Democrats, who wanted to win at any cost, and lack any shame about how they do so, but Republicans tend to ask more of candidates, and if Cain cannot prove that this allegation is false, then this will probably end his campaign.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!