Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Nice! I'm glad you are giving Bella Blue a good home. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Congrats! She is beautiful. I'm sure Darlene will be very happy to have a new friend around.

I came very close to adopting this weekend. I was at a local holiday party and the rescue group I adopted my cats from were there having an adoption event. My eyes locked on a shephard/basset hound mix. She had the face of a german shephard, but the body of a basset hound....I walked her, played with her a bit, I said I would think about it and went on to the holiday party. When I returned, I still hadn't made up my mind..but she found a home, so the decision was made for me. So happy that she got adopted, she was only 4 months old.
    The dog that initially attracted our attention on the website, Max, was a gorgeous fawn male. I talked to the head of the group tonight and she said that his adoption went through. He had been on trial. Bella is such a little sweetie, though, that I know she'll be fine.

We checked the website of the local shelter, but all the dogs were pit mixes. I was afraid to take a chance as Darlene is a very gentle dog and didn't want her attacked. We had been looking at various weimeriner (sp) mixes. Darned, always have trouble spelling the name. When push came to shove, we realized that we really love the greyhound breed.

We thought that maybe a mixed breed would be healthier. We're crossing our fingers that all goes well.

A woman who was head of the rescue group where we got our first greyhound told me something that has always stuck with me over the years. I was upset that a dog that I wanted to adopt was taken. She told me that sadly there's always a long line of pups that need homes and there would always be another one. I'm sure you'll find the ideal pet for your little girl and you.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Bella is just gorgeous. She looks filled with love.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsycatlover View Post
    Bella is just gorgeous. She looks filled with love.
    Thanks, she's a sweetie. She's arriving a bit early, tomorrow morning. I'm searching the house for some extra dog toys to contribute for the dogs still up for adoption. I've found a really cute collar and another collar/leash combo to donate. They can use some of those things for fundraisers. The expenses are high to rescue those poor dogs off the track.

There was an article on Grey2K that SR didn't want me to post. It gave some grim, graphic details about how the greys are treated here in Florida. The pics of starving dogs were hard to view.

Somehow I just couldn't get another breed, although every dog rescued is a plus. There's something about the greys' pointy little faces and big, beautiful, expressive eyes that I love. Other dogs are wonderful, but the greys have my heart.

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Thanks, she's a sweetie. She's arriving a bit early, tomorrow morning. I'm searching the house for some extra dog toys to contribute for the dogs still up for adoption.
    ...and today is THE BIG DAY!

We need some homecoming pics, SLW ...........

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    ...and today is THE BIG DAY!

We need some homecoming pics, SLW ...........:)
    I took some. SR will post them shortly. He's been getting the board back on line, dealing with the company that hosts the server.

I'll give a little quick update. Bella Blue is acting as if she's lived here forever. It's such a joy to see her nose through all the toy baskets. It was such a shame to have all those doggie toys sitting untouched in the baskets.

Blue, the pooch in my avatar, was a play baby until the very end at 12 years old. He'd flip around the toys and loved playing with a tennis ball. Xena used to play with toys according to SR when he first got her. But she had stopped playing with them some time ago. Darlene on occasion will play with the toys, but since Blue and Xena are gone, she's just been moping around.

Now this place is full of life. Yay! Bella dragged out every toy from the little basket in the computer room. She's dragging toys from room to room, flipping them in the air. Even Darlene is playing with the toys now (perhaps a tad of jealousy).

The girls were napping together on the carpet in the computer room most of the afternoon. They were right next to each other. I tried to take a pic of Bella with her head on Darlene, but naturally she moved as I tried getting the pic.

The two greys are together almost all the time, following each other from room to room. We've had so many horrible things happen to us lately, this is a blessing.

That group in Ft Myers, Joey's Greyhound Friends, is one of the kindest I've seen in about 15 years of greyhound rescue. I'm so very happy that the physical therapist recommended them. It definitely was worth the drive to Ft Myers.

"

Banned
    Is she housetrained already? Do you crate?

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Is she housetrained already? Do you crate?
    She's all trained and no, we don't crate them! Here are some new pics, I'll get some better ones tomorrow! :D

May the FORCE be with you!

Banned
    So cute! I thought carpet wasn't advisable with dogs??

I want one!!!

It's funny, Darlene will jump up on the beds but never the couches. Some couch potato. :D

So far Bella hasn't gotten up on anything. Well actually she puts her front two paws on the bed, but won't jump up. Her foster mom said that that's what she did at her house, too.

We were so lucky to get a pooch that had been fostered for a month. She's already trained to not jump into the pool. Usually greys just off the track have no experience with much of anything other than being in a crate and in a dirt run. The beauty of adopting from a group that has fosters is much of the heavy lifting has already been done.

God bless the foster doggie parents of the world. I fostered one greyhound and flunked fostering 101----kept Jackson.

Bella has been so good. She went to the slider right away and let us know that she had to go out.

She didn't finish her dinner, but later went to the chair (subsituted for an elevated feeder) and sniffed it. As soon as we returned her food, she ate. She's a very bright dog.

Bella already follows SR everywhere.

"