Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    So cute! I thought carpet wasn't advisable with dogs??

I want one!!!
    Our carpet will be going soon once we make up our mind on what we want and save enough for the 3 rooms. We have hardwood (well, a good grade of engineered wood, which I've heard is better in Florida) in the hall, living room, family room, breakfast room, dining room and kitchen. The 3 bedrooms are carpeted.

The carpet looked OK when we moved in, but within a week after closing on the house the darned spots cropped up (not from our dogs, but from their's). We had the carpet cleaned in July, but those same spots came back up.

I guess this is a good time to get Bella, so in case she has a few accidents, nothing is lost with that crummy carpet. I already bought a small area rug from Crate & Barrel that was on sale to put in our master bedroom. We're hoping to find some of the light oak flooring similar to what's in the other rooms. I'm looking to get something else for the other 2 rooms, translated less expensive.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Banned
    I have tile on the first floor, and carpet upstairs(the bedrooms).

If I get a dog, I was thinking of using the study as it's room, but it's carpeted. I dont' like the idea of a crate, so I figure it could hang out in there, it has a comfy couch and a tv. I could leave the tv on for it while I'm away. If it has an accident, it's okay because I plan on getting hardwood installed next year on the 2nd floor.
    My big worry is being out of the house for 10 hours. Maybe I should get a young adult dog that is already trained instead of a puppy.

Greyhounds are beautiful...but they do have a high sight prey drive...so no good for the felines..

I have tile on the first floor, and carpet upstairs(the bedrooms).

If I get a dog, I was thinking of using the study as it's room, but it's carpeted. I dont' like the idea of a crate, so I figure it could hang out in there, it has a comfy couch and a tv. I could leave the tv on for it while I'm away. If it has an accident, it's okay because I plan on getting hardwood installed next year on the 2nd floor.
    My big worry is being out of the house for 10 hours. Maybe I should get a young adult dog that is already trained instead of a puppy.

Greyhounds are beautiful...but they do have a high sight prey drive...so no good for the felines..
    Xena was good with cats, many are. They have to be cat tested. Darlene is not cat safe, and I doubt that Bella is. Both seem too curious about smaller animals.

I've always had non-catsafe greys, as I figured that it's best to save the cat-safe ones for people who have kitties. I've seen pics of many of the greys snoozing with cats.

I think a younger dog or a much older dog would have problems going 10 hours. Some friends of mine in an online greyhound group are going through problems with their older dogs, since the owners are away for 10 hours at a time.

No matter which breed, I guess the ideal would be if a neighbor and/or friend that's trustworthy could let the dog out somewhere in the middle of the day (or middle of your shift, not sure if you get the night shift duty at the hospital).

Before SR and I were married, I had Blue and Darlene and would go home on my lunch hour from work. It was about 10 miles each way, but I was in sales, so fortunately could schedule my appointments around letting the pooches out.

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

Banned
    I work evenings. A coworker, who has a great dane/pitbull mix, leaves his dog home alone for 12+ hours because he works 12's. He says the dog is trained to wait for him, he was crated till he was 9 months of age though. He says the dog mostly sleeps when he's away and has the run of the house.

I would be with the dog morning and early afternoon till 1pm. Then it would be taken out at 11:30pm when I get home (back yard, not walk as I wouldn't want to walk that late at night).
    He'd get a daily walk in the morning and would have weekends together.

I don't have the option of coming home as my commute is too long:(

I work evenings. A coworker, who has a great dane/pitbull mix, leaves his dog home alone for 12+ hours because he works 12's. He says the dog is trained to wait for him, he was crated till he was 9 months of age though. He says the dog mostly sleeps when he's away and has the run of the house.

I would be with the dog morning and early afternoon till 1pm. Then it would be taken out at 11:30pm when I get home (back yard, not walk as I wouldn't want to walk that late at night).
    He'd get a daily walk in the morning and would have weekends together.

I don't have the option of coming home as my commute is too long:(
    Your friend's dog is impressive. Does your coworker work the night shift? That might explain how the dog probably sleeps that long.

Don't blame you for not wanting to walk late at night. It sounds like that would be a stretch. I was wondering if whoever takes care of your little one til 11:30 would be able to dogsit?

Taking in a pup would probably be tough. They're not developed enough to hold it that long, whether crated or in a room. I used to confine Darlene in my bedroom while I went to work, but SR convinced me to give her a chance. Despite a few accidents, she was fine.

"

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Bella Pic Update!!!

May the FORCE be with you!

Power CUer
    I love happy endings. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

The pics of Bella are priceless. And there is no happier ending than with a pup that has found a home. Our Max, the ultimate poser, was a drop off from a friend who had to move and couldn't take him with him...and in the best of the Christmas season...

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    The pics of Bella are priceless. And there is no happier ending than with a pup that has found a home. Our Max, the ultimate poser, was a drop off from a friend who had to move and couldn't take him with him...and in the best of the Christmas season...

Max is a Keeper!!! :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Bella Pic Update!!!

She is so gorgeous! So glad she found a good home!!!