Thread: Weird growth

1. #1 Weird growth 
    I was just petting my dog and by her neck I felt a weird bump. I parted her fur and found something attached to her, and it appeared to be pushing into her skin. I can't describe it. I know what ticks are and this was not one. It was about half an inch long, maybe 2mm's wide, and had a slight curve. It was very hard, but crusty. Whatever it was it was not alive.

It didn't seem to be causing her any pain and after a few attempts I was able to pull it out with a pair of tweezers. It felt like it just snapped off and I was worried it was left in her, but when I examined her skin I found a hole and it didn't look like there was anything left. It didn't seem to penetrate all the way through the skin either, just a couple of millimeters into it.

Anyone ever see anything like this before?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I was just petting my dog and by her neck I felt a weird bump. I parted her fur and found something attached to her, and it appeared to be pushing into her skin. I can't describe it. I know what ticks are and this was not one. It was about half an inch long, maybe 2mm's wide, and had a slight curve. It was very hard, but crusty. Whatever it was it was not alive.

It didn't seem to be causing her any pain and after a few attempts I was able to pull it out with a pair of tweezers. It felt like it just snapped off and I was worried it was left in her, but when I examined her skin I found a hole and it didn't look like there was anything left. It didn't seem to penetrate all the way through the skin either, just a couple of millimeters into it.

Anyone ever see anything like this before?
    It's probably too late, but if you could slice it in half with a razor blade, it might tell you something. If you can't slice it in half with a razor blade, then my guess would be that someone shot your dog with a pellet gun.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Very strange, doesn't sound like anything I've seen or heard talked about. Glad she's ok.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Also never heard of anything like that. Did you put some sort of disinfectant on it, like alcohol or something? Perhaps you could try some neosporin on that spot just in case.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

No, I didn't put any on her. It didn't seem to be disturbing her at all, and it had obviously been there for some time and the skin around it seemed fine. I'll check her when I get home in the morning and see how the hole is doing.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

If anything like this happens in the next 24 hours, you might wanna consider a visit to the vet, Jonesy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtgFKdWcKXY

I'm just sayin'.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." ~ Albert Einstein

Did you ever find out anything else about that weird growth? It sounds like you and your family have been rather busy with the new baby and all, but just trying for an update.

BTW, when will your wife and the new baby be home? So glad that your mom is there to help her.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

The dog seems fine. I've checked occasionally and haven't felt anything new there.

And we've been home since Sunday. They kept us about 30 hours then released us.