Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Open Carry Movement Gains Momentum. 
    In public, weapon owners no longer gun-shy
    Push effort to normalize open-carrying

By Nicholas Riccardi
    Los Angeles Times / June 9, 2008

PROVO, Utah - For years, Kevin Jensen carried a pistol everywhere he went, tucked in a shoulder holster beneath his clothes.

In hot weather the holster was almost unbearable. Pressed against his skin, the firearm was heavy and uncomfortable. Hiding the weapon made Jensen feel like a criminal.

Then one evening he stumbled across a site that urged gun owners to do something revolutionary: Carry your gun openly for the world to see as you go about your business.

In most states there's no law against that.

Jensen decided to give it a try. A couple of days later, his gun was visible in a black holster strapped around his hip as he walked into a Costco. His heart raced as he ordered a Polish dog at the counter. No one called the police. No one stopped him.

Now Jensen carries his Glock 23 openly into his bank, restaurants, and shopping centers. He wore the gun to a Ron Paul rally. He and his wife, Clachelle, drop off their 5-year-old daughter at elementary school with pistols in their hip holsters and have never received a complaint or a wary look.

Jensen, 28, said he tries not to flaunt his gun. "We don't want to show up and say, 'Hey, we're here, we're armed, get used to it,' " he said. But he and others who publicly display their guns say they have a reason.
    It's about time.

Boston

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    It should be legal everywhere in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    It should be legal everywhere in this country.
    It mostly is but the police don't know that.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    It mostly is but the police don't know that.
    It makes the police very nervous when someone, non cop, is packing near them !

Best road visual: Last year in AZ - three bikers - running about 75 out of Phoenix, one dude with a X-Frame Model 500 Magnum Masterpiece hanging off his leg holster - as if to say, "Yeah bitch - just try to steal my ride."

I had no idea you could do that - made quite an impression. :eek:
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    It makes the police very nervous when someone, non cop, is packing near them !
    I have a couple friends in law enforcement who would attest to that. But if I were a cop and saw someone openly carrying, I'd be inclined to think they were one of the good guys. Either that or just plain crazy.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

7. #7 Open carry 
    I live in Phoenix and I carry everyday every where except the Post office a police station, polling place or bar(not that I drink) These are generally the only places you cannot carry. It's funny to see and hear some people's reaction to an openly displayed weapon. Most who react adversley are from states where this is unheard of. My wife is from Jersey and has had to get used to seeing this. She grew up in a rural area and is familiar and comfortable around guns but was not used to leaving the house with one. She doesn't carry but says she feels at ease when I do.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    I have a couple friends in law enforcement who would attest to that. But if I were a cop and saw someone openly carrying, I'd be inclined to think they were one of the good guys. Either that or just plain crazy.
    I did it once during hunting season when I walked into a diner with a sidearm in a holster and carrying a rifle.The cop just about choked on his donut.He asked me for my licence and asked if they were loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyaz01 View Post
    My wife is from Jersey and has had to get used to seeing this. She grew up in a rural area and is familiar and comfortable around guns but was not used to leaving the house with one. She doesn't carry but says she feels at ease when I do.
    I'm from California and I did a double-take. Then I thought - if this guy gets stopped bet the cop treats him with respect.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Sonnabend