Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Crucified Santa?? 
    Power CUer
    Seems to be in Linda's neck of the woods.

Town under fire for crucified Santa display at courthouse

A Christmas display outside the courthouse in Leesburg, VA featuring Santa Claus crucified on a cross was torn down by an angry resident in spite of arguments by elected leaders that the display was Constitutionally-protected free speech....

...The display was erected by Jeff Heflin, whose application was submitted and approved by the Loudon County Board of Supervisors.

“The county would not dismantle it, the county gave it permission for it to be there,” Supervisor Steven Miller told the local newspaper. “We had the same thing happen a year ago when Ed Myers put up some vulgar parody lyrics of the “Twelve Days of Christmas.” Well those came down within an hour and that’s vigilantes.”

The Loudon Times reported that Heflin described his display as “art work of Santa on a cross to depict society’s materialistic obsessions and addictions and how it is killing the peace, love, joy and kindness that is supposed to be prevalent during the holiday season.”

“It was meant to show the over-commercialization of Christmas,” said Jonathan Weintraub, of the NOVA Atheists. “I agree. It is over commercialized. People should keep their hands off the display, all the displays.”

The display was torn down by an unidentified local resident, according to the Loudon County Sheriff’s Dept. So far, no one has been arrested....

"It was meant to show the over-commercialization of Christmas,” said Jonathan Weintraub, of the NOVA Atheists.
    That's rich. An atheist showing concern for what the meaning of Christmas should or should not be about.

Tell you what douche...how about they put up a manger display, to show what Christmas is really all about. Would that be OK with you?

I have seen bad art in my life but that is truly awful. The execution is terrible, the point is lost in the laziness and lack of detail, and it fails to evoke the emotional connection of a debased, spiritual celebration.

If you are going to do something, put a little effort into it. Oh, and crucifying Santa is ham handed and simple. Try to be more subtle next time and crucify the Grinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I have seen bad art in my life but that is truly awful...
    It might work as an anti-smoking ad.

"Look kids, this is what happens when you smoke."

Power CUer
    I have seen bad art in my life but that is truly awful. The execution is terrible, the point is lost in the laziness and lack of detail, and it fails to evoke the emotional connection of a debased, spiritual celebration.
    Perhaps the artist's avowed purpose was not his true purpose. Or maybe he got his inspiration from Tim Burton. All I kept wondering is what kind of trauma this might have inflicted on little kids whose parents' daily route took them by the courthouse.

I like to see the Easter Bunny crucified.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGrouse View Post
    I like to see the Easter Bunny crucified.
    See, now that is good on more than one level. You have a mix of Christian dominance of European paganism mixed in with the spiritual aspects of Easter for Christians along with the brutal execution of a clear symbol of fertility.

Work up an artist's statement, put some serious effort into the piece and you may get The Whitney on board.

Power CUer
    Rather to the west of me. Haven't heard anything about this locally.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

See, now that is good on more than one level. You have a mix of Christian dominance of European paganism mixed in with the spiritual aspects of Easter for Christians along with the brutal execution of a clear symbol of fertility.

Work up an artist's statement, put some serious effort into the piece and you may get The Whitney on board.
    Um, Christians do not hold the Easter Bunny up in any way, shape, or form and detest the commercialization of what Easter has turned into as much as what Christmas has turned into. So fap off.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Um, Christians do not hold the Easter Bunny up in any way, shape, or form ...
    Er .... yea. I know.