Hybrid View

1. #1 NHL Governors adopt radical realignment plan 
    PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. -- The NHL's Board of Governors on Monday approved a radical realignment plan, eliminating the current two-conference, six-division setup in favor of a configuration that features four conferences based primarily on geography. Two conferences will have eight teams and the other two conferences will have seven teams.

The Board authorized Commissioner Gary Bettman to implement this proposal in Monday evening's vote, pending input from the National Hockey League Players' Association. The League's intention is for the four-conference set-up to be in place starting with the 2012-13 season.

The vote to approve realignment required a two-thirds majority of the League's 30 governors, and it passed on the first of two days of meetings here at The Inn at Spanish Bay.

The makeup of the yet-to-be-named four conferences is as follows:

* New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Washington and Carolina

* Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay

* Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg

* Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado

Realignment was necessary due to the fact that Winnipeg had to move out of the Eastern Conference after playing in the Southeast Division this season due to the late relocation of the franchise from Atlanta to the Manitoba capital.
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=604852

I think this will help things out a bit overall. The West was really getting shafted with the amount of travelling it was having to do. This should help out quite a bit.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I thought I read an article where the original plan was going to have Philly, Pittsburgh and the Rangers and Islanders not in the same division any longer. Not cool.

This plan looks solid.

I loved the old divisions, especially when they had names: Patrick, Adams, Norris, Smythe. But the real problem with the NHL are teams playing in places that could give a flip about hockey. Tampa, Miami, Nashville, Glendale. Hockey isn't football. You can't just put it anywhere and expect it to be successful. Taking it away from Quebec City, Winnipeg, and Hartford was stupid.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I loved the old divisions, especially when they had names: Patrick, Adams, Norris, Smythe. But the real problem with the NHL are teams playing in places that could give a flip about hockey. Tampa, Miami, Nashville, Glendale. Hockey isn't football. You can't just put it anywhere and expect it to be successful. Taking it away from Quebec City, Winnipeg, and Hartford was stupid.
    Well, Winnipeg has them back now. But I miss the Whalers and the Nordiques. And yeah, have to agree that I miss the named divisions and conferences.

Anyone remember the Colorado Rockies, the KC Scouts, Atlanta Flames, Cleveland Barons, California Golden Seals..?
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

The Red Wings seem to like this alignment because it means less travel and earlier games. Earlier games means higher television ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The Red Wings seem to like this alignment because it means less travel and earlier games. Earlier games means higher television ratings.
    I think they would have preferred a mostly eastern time zone, but yeah this will be a lot better for them overall. Should provide for a more well rested team throughout the year.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by newshutr View Post
    Well, Winnipeg has them back now. But I miss the Whalers and the Nordiques. And yeah, have to agree that I miss the named divisions and conferences.

Anyone remember the Colorado Rockies, the KC Scouts, Atlanta Flames, Cleveland Barons, California Golden Seals..?
    Rockies were the Scouts and are now the Devils

Flames are, of course, the Calgary Flames

The Seals became the Barons before being absorbed into the North Stars who are now in Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Rockies were the Scouts and are now the Devils

Flames are, of course, the Calgary Flames

The Seals became the Barons before being absorbed into the North Stars who are now in Dallas
    I just miss the late 60's early 70's sweaters..
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by newshutr View Post
    You really reached back for them names. :D

I remember the Rockies and the Flames but had to look the others up.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    You really reached back for them names. :D

I remember the Rockies and the Flames but had to look the others up.
    You want reaching back? My first ever hockey game was between these teams:

VS