Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Blagojevich Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison 

Rod Blagojevich, the ousted Illinois governor whose three-year battle against criminal charges became a national spectacle, was sentenced to 14 years in prison Wednesday, one of the stiffest penalties imposed for corruption in a state with a history of crooked politics.

Blagojevich's 18 convictions included allegations of trying to leverage his power to appoint someone to President Barack Obama's vacated Senate seat to raise campaign cash or land a high-paying job.

The twice-elected Democrat is now the second former Illinois governor in a row to be sentenced to prison, and the fourth Illinois governor in the last four decades. His Republican predecessor, George Ryan, currently is serving a sentence of 6 1/2 years, also for corruption.

Blagojevich had told the judge that he made "terrible mistakes" and acknowledged that he broke the law when he tried to sell an appointment to the Senate seat.

Blagojevich's attorneys admitted for the first time Tuesday that he is guilty of corruption and accepts the verdicts against him, but said the sentence of 15 to 20 years prosecutors wanted was too harsh. The defense also presented heartfelt appeals from Blagojevich's family, including letters from his wife Patti and one of his two daughters that pleaded for mercy.

But the judge made it clear early in the hearing that he believed that Blagojevich had lied on the witness stand when he tried to explain his scheming for the Senate seat, and he did not believe defense suggestions that the former governor was duped by his advisers.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1fsXa5MKP
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

I wonder what kind of threats the Magic Negro made to this mook to get him from singing like a canary?

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I wonder what kind of threats the Magic Negro made to this mook to get him from singing like a canary?
    I'm guessing he's got a cellmate that will ensure he doesn't decide to talk.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    I'm guessing he's got a cellmate that will ensure he doesn't decide to talk.
    Na if he turned tout he'd be protected, its his family he's prolly worried about.

Fabulous Poster
    Oh for God's sake. If brokering an appointment gets you 14 years, the movers and shakers in politics should get packing.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Oh for God's sake. If brokering an appointment gets you 14 years, the movers and shakers in politics should get packing.
    If that's how you feel about it, fine. Just don't post in a different thread about how no one does anything to battle corruption in politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    If that's how you feel about it, fine. Just don't post in a different thread about how no one does anything to battle corruption in politics.
    That's the point. Give one high-profile guy a harsh sentence (which he deserves), and it makes people feel warm and fuzzy, like the system works, while so much corruption goes unpunished every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    That's the point. Give one high-profile guy a harsh sentence (which he deserves), and it makes people feel warm and fuzzy, like the system works, while so much corruption goes unpunished every day.
    When you commit crimes against humanity everyday in your classroom, I can see your point!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Of course you have hard evidence to back up this alleged corruption. What am I saying. Of course you do.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    You mean the one over on Nutralunderground?