Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1 Some Asians' college strategy: Don't check 'Asian' 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    430
    Some Asians' college strategy: Don't check 'Asian'
    http://news.yahoo.com/asians-college...174442977.html

    Affirmative Action hurts Asian the most, more so than Whites.
    Last edited by RedGrouse; 12-07-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,904
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGrouse View Post
    Some Asians' college strategy: Don't check 'Asian'
    http://news.yahoo.com/asians-college...174442977.html

    Affirmative Action hurts Asian the most, more so than Whites.
    If I was them I would check African American and if questioned would point out that through DNA testing they have discovered that all humans can be traced back to a woman in North Africa.
    http://www.nature.com/news/2011/1107....2011.413.html
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,269
    Nothing new here. My sister is half Chinese, and she has never responded "Asian" to anything. She only speaks English

    I knew a Hispanic lady in Ft Worth who never responded "Hispanic". Her reason was that she didn't 'feel Hispanic; didn't know any language but English.

    What should my beautiful neighbor check? She's just as Caucasian as she is Black. Basically, you are who you say you are.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Nothing new here. My sister is half Chinese, and she has never responded "Asian" to anything. She only speaks English

    I knew a Hispanic lady in Ft Worth who never responded "Hispanic". Her reason was that she didn't 'feel Hispanic; didn't know any language but English.

    What should my beautiful neighbor check? She's just as Caucasian as she is Black. Basically, you are who you say you are.
    My friend's sister got special consideration in hiring at the CIA because she is half Filipino. She doesn't speak Tagalog, so she wasn't hired for that skill. These kids were raised in middle class white Montgomery County Maryland and have never identified as or been treated as nonwhite or mixed race. It was simply that there was hiring preference.

    A person might be foolish to not go for it if you qualify. Opportunity isn't knocking as loudly as it might.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Our widdle friend. Wei Wu Wei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,414
    Colleges discriminating against Asians because they outperform other races is pretty BS.

    I understand the rational behind Affirmative Actions, because the US government actively hindered the equal opportunity of minority races until a generation or two ago, and the socio-economic effects of this are multi-generational. However, AA was never meant to be, and should not be a simple game of "help those who do the worst and hinder those who do the best". That is just bullshit.

    If anything, Asians should get preferential treatment because of how the US government actively hindered their social mobility for so long.

    While I think the logic behind Affirmative Action is sound, I think we should be moving away from a race-based system and more towards a class-based system, where people of any race who are born into lower socio-economic families are given preferential treatment. The reason is because, generally speaking, people born into poor families have fewer benefits available to them and more obstacles to overcome.

    The logic here is the same that applies when students take Advanced Placement courses in high school and apply for college. Getting a grade of "B" in an AP course is generally considered "better" than getting an "A" in an on-level course, because those courses are more challenging, and students rising to these challenges and overcoming them demonstrates skills that colleges want to see. A student making a B in an AP class has to struggle more than a student making an A in a regular class (generally speaking). Likewise, students in poor families cannot afford private tutors, cannot afford prep-courses, are far less likely to have college-educated parents who can help with homework, are far more likely to face other challenges like having to get a job to help support the family or having to babysit younger siblings because parents cannot afford babysitters. Because students in low Socio-economic classes have less resources available and generally speaking have more challenges to overcome, a poor student getting a B may actually demonstrated a harder work ethic and stronger dedication to school than a privileged student getting an A.

    Class-based affirmative action should begin replacing race-based affirmative action.
    Last edited by Wei Wu Wei; 12-07-2011 at 09:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member DumbAss Tanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,605
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    AA was never meant to be, and should not be a simple game of "help those who do the worst and hinder those who do the best". That is just bullshit.
    That is, however, how it has always worked. Any subjective evaluation would be attacked iin litigation from multiple directions under our legal system, and therefore institutions which would prefer to simply perform their fundamental purpose rather than feed generations of lawyers always opt for the objective measure of simple group membership. Add in various ultimately-destructive coping strategies like lowering the standards for success for groups once yoiu lower the standards for entry to meet AA goals, which degrades the value of whatever program may be involved in the long run, and it is apparent why the entire thing is ultimately doomed to fail.

    Either merit or 'Meeting affirmative action goals' may be your top priority, but you can't have two #1 priorities, no matter how hard the government tries to jam itself and every organization it supports or regulates into that particular oxymoron.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post

    However, AA was never meant to be, and should not be a simple game of "help those who do the worst and hinder those who do the best". That is just bullshit.

    <snip>

    Class-based affirmative action should begin replacing race-based affirmative action.
    Anyone else see the paradox of these 2 statements?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •