1. #1 Unofficial Thursday Thread ... 
    Hi guys ...

Couldn't resist this. Was just looking through my latest Vermont Country Store catalogue for last minute things for Mr. ABC. Fantastic place to shop online for hard to find and useful items from the past.

Well, not all from the past. And it reminded me of something from my past.

Okay, ready for TOTD?

How many of you in here had electric trains as a child ... or gave one to your children? They were wonderful Christmas presents that provided pleasure for hours and months on end.

My brother and I *both* had one. They were Lionel ones.

~ ABC

Power CUer
    I had the old Lionels (with the liquid you poured into the smokestack to get "smoke"). I used them for years, then passed them along to my goddaughters when they were little. The engine alone must have weighed five pounds.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

My brother had an awesome train set. He spent a lot of time putting it together-his city had working lights, he had an elevated streetcar- he used old toy building blocks to support the track. It wasn't a Lionel set, but it was h0 sized. He gradually collected all the items he used, from the little buildings to the various train-related stuff (RR gates, loaders, etc.). He used his old Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars in the miniature city.

Oh Mercy!

Slightly off topic to my own thread can you believe? :o

Just ordered a fantastic gift from www.vermontcountrystore.com for the hubby who has everything and has a taste for both chocolate and fine liquors.

Should really get paid for this free endorsement!!! And hope that SR doesn't mind. Is wonderful to find quality items online, especially if you live in a tiny resort area as I do, beautiful ... but no damn shopping malls!

Was an 8.75 oz. box of 16 European chocolate bottles filled with "Top Shelf Liqueurs" their description. Everything from Cognacs, Grand Marnier, Cointreau etc.

If interested, is item #43096.

Sorry, sorry, SR ... promise not to do it again if against the rules, but this item could be helpful for folks like me that have family members that are just so impossible to buy for!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every possible thing that this man of mine needs ... he has already purchased for himself!!!

Ps. Just remembered something from the Recipe section ... am going to make up a batch of those Peanut Butter cookies ... add some chocolate chips ... pack them up and put some in his stocking!

Outta here and awaiting a reprimand!

~ ABC

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I had the old Lionels...The engine alone must have weighed five pounds.
    They were the best. Big, clunky, well built, big tracks. Had to hire actual yard workers to put it together each Christmas. :D

Good times.

I had several, in different gauges, the downstairs of the house had track laid everywhere.
    Slot car race tracks and hot wheel tracks too.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

My sons had the HO gauge. We had a large collection of the trains and all the accessories. Somehow they got lost or misplaced. I tried to get my ex to find them in the former house, but he never did give them to my son and grandkids. Sigh.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I had a Lionel train setup when I was a little kid. It was one of the big bulky sets, not the little HO ones.

My favorite train car fired a toy ICBM...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post

My favorite train car fired a toy ICBM...
    Well, of course it did, you evil one!

We could hardly expect less of you, could we now?

Your most fearful subject ~ ABC
    Last edited by ABC in Georgia; 12-09-2011 at 01:58 PM.

I think it was lionel that my dad got me. put little white pills in the stack and produced smoke

Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots