Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Here's a pic of the wind damage to the maple.

You can also see the gutter damage top left. I used my little Black & Decker chainsaw to clear the patio near the door so the dogs (and us) can get out to the backyard. That little sucker looks like a toy but it does the job! A tree service is coming in the morning to look at the maple and we'll decided if it comes totally down or just trim the crap out of it.

According to the rain Gage we got 5 inches but I think it was more as it tilted a bit from the wind. There was some minor flooding of roads all around us but nothing too bad.

I'm putting a chicken in the oven right now, didn't think we'd be able to but the power came back 4 hours quicker than Ameren said it would.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Whew! Our power just came back on...Yay! :D

It went out around 7:30am central time, came on around 1:30.

We had more of our big silver maple come crashing down on the house
    but it looks like it just busted some of the gutter. Came too close to hitting
    a few windows. That tree is gonna have to go I think. The sun is
    just staring to come out again.

Now we have to take all the food out of the ice chests and get it back
    into the freezers. :D
    Did you get your $2,000 debit card yet?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Did you get your $2,000 debit card yet?
    Nope. And I almost went on a looting rampage but a little old lady
    across the street needed me to help her. :(:D

The friend who my brother is staying with in Houston got his power back yesterday, so that's good.

He's going to get on the Island today...another guy from his unit got out there yesterday and informed him that while his car is still where he parked it at the unit, apparently there is major water damage to all of the personal vehicles that were parked there. The other guy was parked next to him and couldn't get his car started at all so there's not much hope for my brother's car.

He'll swing by his apartment and get his uniforms and civvies that can be salvaged (his dress uniforms are toast for sure), take them to his friend's house and launder them. A few days of being damp shouldn't damage most of it. I'm encouraging him to NOT stay on the island until power and water are restored, but he's a stubborn (and heavily-armed) guy and may try to do it.

His guess is a month or 6 weeks before he'll be able to get back in his apartment - but they're telling residents of the island that it may be a month before power is back on for everyone, so I don't know how realistic that is. His insurance company should provide him with funds for temporary housing but there's no way he'll find a Residence Inn or something similar with an open room within 2 hours of Galveston (he has to be able to get to his unit within 2 hours, once they go back to work). He might be crashing at friends' places for a while.

:D He was joking that maybe, just maybe he can get a FEMA trailer.

Have heard from most of our family and friends in Houston area. They have generators (they're big hunters and don't chance losing meat). Still haven't contacted a friend in Elkins Lake.
    some good reports about the help but also some complaints about how long till the FEMA folks arrived. One complained about Osteen's church and I didn't pay attention until I read this at Wizbang:

Lakewood Church is a fraud. While many area churches made sure to find their members in need and try to help, once again the richest church in Houston has focused its efforts on ... selling books and tapes!
    That's pitiful.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Here's a couple of pics of our tree now that it's been cut WAY back!

Lots more sun going to get to the patio and lawn! :D