Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    It did have a self-destruct circuit. If communications failed, the self-destruct was supposed to be triggered. But if the self-destruct failed, it would soft land. DUH!

What kind of idiot engineering design is that? Maybe just something rushed through DARPA. Haste makes waste, or so they say! Why not just FedEx it to Iran?

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/400/...by-80-percent-...all in all, scary!
    It was probably not the engineering design, but a leak giving Iran the control codes.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Wait till they open the Drone up and find vacuum tubes...:D
    I'm not too worried about that, but if they figure out how we motivate the squirrels to power them, we're in real trouble. :D

The biggest problem with the drones is that they are not effective unless you control the airspace. If you are up against an enemy with ADA assets, you will lose drones, and eventually, they will back-engineer them and figure out how to detect, jam or hack them. Eventually, we'll be back to manned aircraft and artillery.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Eventually, we'll be back to manned aircraft and artillery.
    Nothing beats "hands on"!

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Meh, I dunno. I'm still not convinced the Iranians brought it down. "Bring down" some more and I will be convinced, though.

Some of the statements by some of the sources sound confident. Like this one:
    Its almost perfect condition confirmed Tehran's claim that the UAV was downed by a cyber attack, meaning it was brought in undamaged by an electronic warfare ambush.
    Almost perfect? The wing - it is said - had been removed, and no one is allowed to see the undercarriage. And even it is in "almost perfect" condition that still would not "confirm Tehran's claim". And ALL of Tehran's claims need to be confirmed.

Time will tell us, though.

At this point I don't believe drones have a self destruct feature, because it would be too dangerous. Dangerous as in, "Hey, Starbuck, How about fueling up that there drone? But be careful. Don't use your cellphone while you're doing it because it has a bomb inside it! And the Spooks won't tell us what sets the bomb off." See the problem?

Interesting stuff.:)

It did have a self-destruct circuit. If communications failed, the self-destruct was supposed to be triggered. But if the self-destruct failed, it would soft land. DUH!

What kind of idiot engineering design is that? Maybe just something rushed through DARPA. Haste makes waste, or so they say! Why not just FedEx it to Iran?

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/400/...by-80-percent-...all in all, scary!
    That's all well and good, but it's simply a discussion of hardware virtual prototyping, not an explanation of the conceptual failure in planning and wargaming for the 'What if it fails in this mode over enemy territory?' part of the issue. That's a 'Thinking it through' problem rather than a hardware problem, really one for which the PM rather than the politicians should be held accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    That's all well and good, but it's simply a discussion of hardware virtual prototyping, not an explanation of the conceptual failure in planning and wargaming for the 'What if it fails in this mode over enemy territory?' part of the issue. That's a 'Thinking it through' problem rather than a hardware problem, really one for which the PM rather than the politicians should be held accountable.
    But from DARPA...
    New concept to develop products

That's the challenge DARPA is trying to solve. They're working to build a set of software tools that would let the Pentagon and its contractors develop products with a concept called "correct-by-construction." Instead of taking up the resources of a factory floor to build a prototype and successive test models, a product works the way it's supposed to the first time it rolls off the assemble line.
    That's the weak link.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Banned
    What was that story a few months back about a virus infecting the computers that control our drones?

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Meh, I dunno. I'm still not convinced the Iranians brought it down. "Bring down" some more and I will be convinced, though.

Some of the statements by some of the sources sound confident. Like this one:
    Its almost perfect condition confirmed Tehran's claim that the UAV was downed by a cyber attack, meaning it was brought in undamaged by an electronic warfare ambush.
    Almost perfect? The wing - it is said - had been removed, and no one is allowed to see the undercarriage. And even it is in "almost perfect" condition that still would not "confirm Tehran's claim". And ALL of Tehran's claims need to be confirmed.

Time will tell us, though.

At this point I don't believe drones have a self destruct feature, because it would be too dangerous. Dangerous as in, "Hey, Starbuck, How about fueling up that there drone? But be careful. Don't use your cellphone while you're doing it because it has a bomb inside it! And the Spooks won't tell us what sets the bomb off." See the problem?

Interesting stuff.:)
    I'm not convinced that the Iranians brought the drone down alone. Not without help from our own government.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsycatlover View Post
    I'm not convinced that the Iranians brought the drone down alone. Not without help from our own government.
    You mean like when the Clinton Administration arranged for the Chinese to get our EP-3E Aries II by forcing it to land on Hainan Island?

But from DARPA...

That's the weak link.
    My point is that it DID work the way it was supposed to, they just didn't correctly think through the consequences of it doing exactly that.