Thread: The New Drone

1. #1 The New Drone 
    I love the drone technology. The prospect of a well trained pilot and weapons officer and maybe even an Electronics Countermeasures officer sitting in a comfortable safe environment while doing their jobs appeals to me. And now the XB-47 is being designed to land on aircraft carriers. Great Stuff! That's in the future, though.

For now, there is the Avenger, or Predator C, being deployed in Afghanistan. Stealth; 2,000 pounds of killing stuff; this drone has a lot going for it. The old Predators had a pusher prop which limited its ceiling to about 25,000 feet. Note that this model has no prop. That stretches the maximum ceiling up to anyone's guess....

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...stealth-drone/

It really is the sci-fi stories of my youth coming to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    It really is the sci-fi stories of my youth coming to reality.
    On Star Trek, wasn't it the Romulans who had the cloaking devices in their ships?

In The Empire Strikes Back, the Empire had spy drones, although they weren't cloaked.

I think a lot of technology is inspired by science fiction-the author writes down a concept, and engineers and scientists figure out a way to make it happen.

I'm waiting to see when doctors get triquarters, like on Star Trek-we have MRI machines, which are based on the idea of being able to scan a person's neurological system. They just have to find a way to make it small and hand-held. They would also have to apply it to the other human body systems.

We already have blue tooth phones, which remind me of the communicators they used.
    Last edited by noonwitch; 12-15-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    On Star Trek, wasn't it the Romulans who had the cloaking devices in their ships?.......I'm waiting to see when doctors get triquarters, like on Star Trek-......
    I believe that was actually a tricorder.....

Is that you, Rose Nylund?:D

as long as they don't fall on Iran
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    On Star Trek, wasn't it the Romulans who had the cloaking devices in their ships?

In The Empire Strikes Back, the Empire had spy drones, although they weren't cloaked.

I think a lot of technology is inspired by science fiction-the author writes down a concept, and engineers and scientists figure out a way to make it happen.

I'm waiting to see when doctors get triquarters, like on Star Trek-we have MRI machines, which are based on the idea of being able to scan a person's neurological system. They just have to find a way to make it small and hand-held. They would also have to apply it to the other human body systems.

We already have blue tooth phones, which remind me of the communicators they used.
    im still want a cloaker for my car :D
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots