Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 APNewsBreak: Feds say Arpaio violated civil rights 
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Of course they're saying this. He doesn't bring them cookies and milk on a daily basis so he's violating their rights. Arpaio's been there and done that. He isn't going to sweat this.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Of course they're saying this. He doesn't bring them cookies and milk on a daily basis so he's violating their rights. Arpaio's been there and done that. He isn't going to sweat this.
    I don't see any charges against him, if they have no charges they should shut the hell up.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Joe Joe Joe, you are a piece of work. You really are...

I don't like the man. That being said, this is a smear ....plain and simple
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Joe Joe Joe, you are a piece of work. You really are...

I don't like the man. That being said, this is a smear ....plain and simple

I don't either.

I love him. He treats jail like it's supposed to be treated and not like some extended vacation spot that the left feels it should be.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

He's got a certain amount of time to "admit" guilt in these matter and help the Feds fix these so called problems, If I was him I'd tell them to go f#$k themselves.

Sonnabend
    The report also said he and some top staffers tried to silence people who have spoken out against the sheriff's office by arresting people without cause, filing meritless lawsuits against opponents and starting investigations of critics.
    This is a smear? Sounds like fact to me.

The civil rights report said Latinos are four to nine times more likely to be stopped in traffic stops in Maricopa County than non-Latinos and that the agency's immigration policies treat Latinos as if they are all in the country illegally. Deputies on the immigrant-smuggling squad stop and arrest Latino drivers without good cause, the investigation found.
    Funny, this seems okay to you, but DUI traffic stops arent? Probable cause, anyone?

A review done as part of the investigation found that 20 percent of traffic reports handled by Arpaio's immigrant-smuggling squad from March 2006 to March 2009 were stops — almost all involving Latino drivers — that were done without reasonable suspicion. The squad's stops rarely led to smuggling arrests.
    So in fact they were stopping and harassing AMERICAN CITIZENS in violation of the very same Constitution you say is the law of the land? Again without probable cause?

Latino inmates with limited English skills were punished for failing to understand commands in English by being put in solitary confinement for up to 23 hours a day or keeping prisoners locked down in their jail pods for as long as 72 hours without a trip to the canteen area or making nonlegal phone calls.
    Solitary confinement for the offence of not speaking English. Uh huh, that isnt an abuse of power, is it?

Detention officers refused to accept forms requesting basic daily services and reporting mistreatment when the documents were completed in Spanish and pressured Latinos with limited English skills to sign forms that implicate their legal rights without language assistance.
    Forcing them to sign forms that they did not understand that waived their legal rights..right, that's not a viiolation of their civil rights, is it?

Do I smell a double standard?

Sonnabend
    Your name is Ramon Martinez. You are a US citizen on your way home from work.

You are stopped and questioned by the MCSO repeatedly...for the crime of "driving whilst Hispanic"

Now tell me, Latino or not, are you, or are you not, entitled to the same civil rights of all other Americans, gauranteed by the US Constitution, and are you, or are you not, being harassed by the police for no reason other than they "think" you are an illegal immigrant.

Do you, or do you not, therefore have grounds to state that your civil rights were violated by that same police officer..and as has been said on THIS FORUM,and I can link the thread, your car is an extension of your house, you have been subjected to repeated illegal search in direct violation of your Fourth Amendment rights?

I will be very interested to see just what the answer to this question is.Over to you.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 12-20-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Sonnabend
    A review done as part of the investigation found that 20 percent of traffic reports handled by Arpaio's immigrant-smuggling squad from March 2006 to March 2009 were stops — almost all involving Latino drivers — that were done without reasonable suspicion. The squad's stops rarely led to smuggling arrests.
    Reference this

and explain the discrepancy here, if you will...as to why one is fine because it is your "hero" Arpaio, and the other is "unconstitutional"

It's one or the other, folks