Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Christopher Hitchens Dead at 62 
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Not exactly a favorite around here, but the man was great at provoking discussion. I hope he's at peace now after that long battle.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

What a loss of human intellect. RIP, Mr. Hitchens. :(
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Not exactly a favorite around here...
    That speaks more detrimentally to the character of those "around here" than to that of Christopher Hitchens, I can assure you.
    Last edited by Articulate_Ape; 12-16-2011 at 03:27 AM.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    That speaks more detrimentally to the character of those "around here" than to that of Christopher Hitchens, I can assure you.
    Well in fairness, apon review it seems that it was more just attacks on those who presented his message as opposed to Hitchens himself. I've just grown to associate animosity and Hitchens name where this site is concerned because of that.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Right because someone who despises Mother Teresa is someone we are supposed to embrace.

Exactly how is that a flaw in OUR character?

He had his strong points...but had equal reason to recieve scorn from Conservatives as well.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Right because someone who despises Mother Teresa is someone we are supposed to embrace.

Exactly how is that a flaw in OUR character?

He had his strong points...but had equal reason to recieve scorn from Conservatives as well.
    Hitchens was the kind of leftist that most people on the left claim to be, but aren't. He was wrong about some things, right about others, but always honest about his beliefs and how he came by them, and because of this, you could debate with him honestly and even change his mind. He was a genuinely honest man, whose opinions were based on his convictions, rather than PC fads, and he never hesitated to speak his mind, regardless of the fallout, even when the fallout came from his own side. His support for America, for example, cost him a great deal among his fellow leftists, and could have cost him a lot more when you think about how the left reacts to real dissent, but he never wavered in support of our response to 9/11, something that took a lot of courage for someone who made his living writing for venues where America is automatically judged to be guilty, not until proven innocent, but long past the proof has been presented.

We can disagree with him and still respect him.

RIP.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

He was always an entertaining guest on Bill Maher's show or The Daily Show.

He should have the following saying engraved on his tombstone (unless he gets cremated):

All Dressed Up And No Place To Go.

I bet he found out he was wrong about Hell.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    I bet he found out he was wrong about Hell.
    Pascal's wager.