Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 State hopes to break car owners' habit of changing oil too often 
    Many automobile owners are spending more than they need on motor oil, believing that it should be changed every 3,000 miles even though almost no manufacturer requires such an aggressive oil-change schedule.

The long-held notion that the oil should be changed every 3,000 miles is so prevalent that California officials have launched a campaign to stop drivers from wasting millions of gallons of oil annually because they have their vehicles serviced too often.

"Our survey data found that nearly half of California drivers are still changing their oil at 3,000 miles or even sooner," said Mark Oldfield, a spokesman for the California Department of Resources, Recycling and Recovery, which has launched the Check Your Number campaign to encourage drivers to go with the manufacturer's recommendations.

Improvement in oils, friction proofing and car engines have lengthened the oil-change interval, typically 7,500 miles to 10,000 miles for most vehicles.

Changing motor oil according to manufacturer specifications would reduce motor-oil demand in California by about 10 million gallons a year, the agency said. The state has created a website, checkyournumber.org, where drivers can look up the suggested motor-oil change interval number for their vehicles.
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,4554184.story

I figured 3,000 miles was a bit to much, but I was suprised to learn most cars can go up to 10,000 miles.

Drudgereport was a bit misleading about this story. Claiming that California was "cracking down" on changing your oil to often. The story they linked to said nothing of the sort, just that the state is wanting to get the word out that it's not necessary to do it so often.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Mine gets changed every 5,000 miles. Next oil change will be the 81st. Yep. 405,000 miles.

But you have to wonder at the cost of this campaign.

I do it right around every 3000 miles. Otherwise, my grandpa yells at me.

We recently bought a new car for my wife. The dealership pays for the oil changes for the first X number of miles. The interval is 8,000 miles between oil changes.

Strange thing is that motor oil is recyclable. I think one of the motor oil brands sells recycled oil now.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Strange thing is that motor oil is recyclable. I think one of the motor oil brands sells recycled oil now.
    Sure is. Used to be, the oil-change companies could sell it, but even that has come under fire. Soon, there will be a fee attached to 'disposing' of your old oil and the companies that used to buy used oil will be gone.

All they have to do is remove the dirt and what not from oil to reuse it.

I use synthetic oil so i go for at least 5k miles before a change.

I probably average 5-6,000 between changes. The whole 3,000 thing just always struck me as 'way too often, while 7.500-10,000 seems a bit long with modern smaller, lower-mass engines (Less of a heat sink than the old iron blocks of my youth).

Five thousand here.

I've always changed it at 5000, even back when I was in high school, around the time the Columbian mammoth vanished.

My little '51 Ford that I had in HS had well over 200K miles on it when I sold it in 1965 and still never used a drop between changes. But, they used to say that flatheads never died.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    All they have to do is remove the dirt and what not from oil to reuse it.

I use synthetic oil so i go for at least 5k miles before a change.

I've been changing the oi(regular 30w) at 5,000 miles for yrs now. With synthetic oil you should be good to go 12,000 to 15,000 miles between changes
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.