Thread: Flemish Beef Stew
#1 Flemish Beef Stew12-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Flemish Beef Stew
Quick Info: Servings
Contains Red Meat
Nutritional Info (Per serving): Calories: 272, Saturated Fat: 3g, Sodium: 359mg, Dietary Fiber: 2g, Total Fat: 9g, Carbs: 17g, Cholesterol: 72mg, Protein: 27g
Carb Choices: 1
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 8 h
Total Time: 8 h 20 mins
- 4 teaspoon oil, canola
- 2 pounds beef, bottom round roast
- 3/4 pounds mushrooms, cremini
- 3 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
- 2 cup(s) beer
- 4 large carrot(s)
- 1 large onion(s)
- 1 clove(s) garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoon mustard, dijon-style
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, black ground
- 1 bay leaf
1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add half the beef and brown on all sides, turning frequently, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker. Drain any fat from the pan. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and brown the remaining beef. Transfer to the slow cooker.
3. Return the skillet to medium heat, add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they give off their liquid and it evaporates to a glaze, 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms; cook undisturbed for 10 seconds, then stir and cook for 30 seconds more.
5. Pour in ale (or beer); bring to a boil, whisking constantly to reduce foaming, until thickened and bubbling, about 3 minutes. Transfer the mushroom mixture to the slow cooker.
6. Add carrots, onion, garlic, mustard, caraway seeds, salt, pepper and bay leaf to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
7. Put the lid on and cook on low until the beef is very tender, about 8 hours. Discard the bay leaf before serving.
" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."
"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"
Crocodiles are easy. They try to kill & eat you. People are harder. Sometimes they pretend to be your friend first.” Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|