Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Michelle Obama’s Unsavory School-Lunch Flop 
    The road to gastric hell is paved with first lady Michelle Obama’s nanny-state intentions. Don’t take my word for it. Schoolkids in Los Angeles have blown the whistle on the East Wing chef-in-chief’s healthy-lunch diktats. Get your Pepto-Bismol ready. The taste of government waste is indigestion-inducing.

According to a weekend report by the Los Angeles Times, the city’s “trailblazing introduction of healthful school lunches has been a flop.” In response to the public hectoring and financial inducement of Mrs. Obama’s federally subsidized anti-obesity campaign, the district dropped chicken nuggets, corn dogs, and flavored milk from the menu for “beef jambalaya, vegetable curry, pad Thai, lentil and brown rice cutlets, and quinoa and black-eyed pea salads.”

Sounds delectable in theory. But in practice, the initiative has been what L.A. Unified’s food-services director Dennis Barrett plainly concludes is a “disaster.” While the Obama administration has showered the nation’s second-largest school district with nutrition awards, thousands of students voted with their upset tummies and abandoned the program. A forbidden-food black market — stoked not just by students, but also by teachers — is now thriving. Moreover, “principals report massive waste, with unopened milk cartons and uneaten entrees being thrown away.”

This despite a massive increase in spending on nutritional improvements — from $2 million to $20 million alone over the last five years on fresh produce.

This despite a nearly half-billion-dollar budget shortfall and 3,000 layoffs earlier this year.

Earlier this spring, L.A. school officials acknowledged that the sprawling district is left with a whopping 21,000 uneaten meals a day, in part because the federal school-lunch program “sometimes requires more food to be served than a child wants to eat.” The leftovers will now be donated to nonprofit agencies. But after the recipients hear about students’ reports of moldy noodles, undercooked meat, and hard rice, one wonders how much of the “free” food will go down the hatch — or down the drain. Ahhh, savor the flavor of one-size-fits-all mandates.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ichelle-malkin
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Power CUer
    I would take quinoa over corn dogs any day, but kids don't tend to choose things that are good for them - and if they're not being prepared well, they'll definitely be rejected.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Never heard of quinoa before, but "Rice cutlets" tells me all I want to know about the menu.

Has anyone mentioned Michele has an enormous ass?
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Never heard of quinoa before, but "Rice cutlets" tells me all I want to know about the menu.
    It's a grain from South America with a nice, nutty flavor. We have it with chicken or fish, at our house.

"Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    The road to gastric hell is paved with first lady Michelle Obama’s nanny-state intentions. Don’t take my word for it. Schoolkids in Los Angeles have blown the whistle on the East Wing chef-in-chief’s healthy-lunch diktats. Get your Pepto-Bismol ready. The taste of government waste is indigestion-inducing.

According to a weekend report by the Los Angeles Times, the city’s “trailblazing introduction of healthful school lunches has been a flop.” In response to the public hectoring and financial inducement of Mrs. Obama’s federally subsidized anti-obesity campaign, the district dropped chicken nuggets, corn dogs, and flavored milk from the menu for “beef jambalaya, vegetable curry, pad Thai, lentil and brown rice cutlets, and quinoa and black-eyed pea salads.”
    I am at a loss as to what the valid criticism is here.

America is not a healthy place, and hasn't been for a long time. President Kennedy lamented that the percentage of Americans who showed up for the draft who were too out of shape to enter basic training was unacceptable. Kennedy also said that we were becoming a nation of spectators rather than athletes. So this decline has been going on for some time.

In analysis, how long has this been going on? We probably don't know, because e probably don't have the stats from the past. In the past, "military readiness" was determined in the census by the number of free males between 16 and 45 and no other consideration.

A good guess would be that this has been going on since the 1930's. More cars, more machines, less farm workers, more sedentary workers, more people living in town, less walking, more driving, washing machines, sanders, compressed air tools, robotic helpers, and thousands of things which made life easier, better, and better for more people. Cheap carbs and fat processed foods in abundance. It's all coming home to roost.... on the asses of America it seems.

Frankly I am surprised at the number of "healthy" people. I don't see bone thin people as being all that healthy, but it's easier to take a scrawney string bean into the Army, run him around and over feed him than it is to take a chub in and starve him while running the fat off him.

Corn dogs and chicken nuggets are dog food in more appealing form. We know what the parents buy, because we look in their carts at Walmart. They buy corn dogs, chicken nuggets, ramen, peanut butter, potato chips, soda, Hi-c, commercial potato salad, macaroni salad, .... just buckets of fat and simple carbs.

Schools employ dieticians. They shouldn't be serving crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I am at a loss as to what the valid criticism is here.

Of course you're at a loss. You see nothing wrong with the Government telling us what to eat and wasting money trying to central plan meals for kids that they don't eat.

To your Liberal way of thinking that's the way it SHOULD be.

Amazing how someone who thinks the Government has no place in our bedrooms is perfectly fine with them taking up residence in our kitchens.

Only the mind of a Lib allows the contradiction like that to go unnoticed.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Of course you're at a loss. You see nothing wrong with the Government telling us what to eat and wasting money trying to central plan meals for kids that they don't eat.

To your Liberal way of thinking that's the way it SHOULD be.

Amazing how someone who thinks the Government has no place in our bedrooms is perfectly fine with them taking up residence in our kitchens.

Only the mind of a Lib allows the contradiction like that to go unnoticed.
    I thought we were talking about school cafeterias. For that matter, we can consider the kitchen of military facilities as well. We shouldn't be feeding garbage to kids or soldiers.

Corn dogs and chicken nuggets are carnival foods. No one is saying that they should never be eaten. But like pizza, they should not be eaten every day or even every week.

Do you know that one egg contains more than half of your daily cholesterol? Do the nutritionals on a breakfast of 2-3 scrambled eggs, two sausages, fried potatoes, and toast with butter and jam. Who exactly should be eating that?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I thought we were talking about school cafeterias. For that matter, we can consider the kitchen of military facilities as well. We shouldn't be feeding garbage to kids or soldiers.
    We are talking about that. I'm just pointing out your willful hypocrisy.

You're perfectly willing to raise hell about the Nanny State for your pet cause...but you're perfectly willing to let them intrude when it suits your purpose or your pet cause.

Corn dogs and chicken nuggets are carnival foods. No one is saying that they should never be eaten. But like pizza, they should not be eaten every day or even every week.
    Those are an option at school...not the mandatory menu items.

They offer those in the fast food line at every Military Dining Facility as well.

Your point?

Do you know that one egg contains more than half of your daily cholesterol? Do the nutritionals on a breakfast of 2-3 scrambled eggs, two sausages, fried potatoes, and toast with butter and jam. Who exactly should be eating that?
    Anyone who wants to. That's who.

For some reason, I am reminded of the old Beastie Boys song, (You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (To Party).