Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Changes coming to JROTC policies on head coverings 
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Cadets of the Army's junior ROTC program are going to be allowed to wear religious head coverings after a Muslim high school student in Tennessee was not allowed to participate because she wore a headscarf.The Army office for diversity and leadership said in a letter this week that procedures are being developed to allow exemptions to their JROTC uniform policy based on religious beliefs.

Headscarves such as a hijab or a turban will be allowed, according to the letter to the Council on American-Islamic Relations.A Muslim student at Ravenwood High School was told she could not wear her hijab while marching in a homecoming parade earlier this year.

Army spokesman George Wright said JROTC policies are a greater accommodation of religious beliefs and practices.

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/22/414...#storylink=cpy
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Ody...DAT...get ready for the changes to AR 670-1.

I'll bet my stripes they are on the way.

Jonsey...bet they are being drafted for the AF reg on wear and appearance of the uniform as well.

This is just nuts...:mad:
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Does it stop at Islamic headwear or can Jews wear yarmulke's?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Power CUer
    Turbans are mostly to accommodate Sikhs, who are by no means Muslim.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post

Jonsey...bet they are being drafted for the AF reg on wear and appearance of the uniform as well.

This paves the way for our newest members to wear panties and miniskirts. I can only hope that shaving standards won't be relaxed and that it will include the legs as well.:eek:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Turbans are mostly to accommodate Sikhs, who are by no means Muslim.
    I don't recall mentioning turbans being Muslim. Linda gleaning what she wants from a post. Go figure.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post

Well, JROTC is really a world of its own, tied closer to the school systems than DOD, so how much this will bleed over into the real military is a big unknown.

Still, the Big Army has waffled back and forth on this over the years, depending on the whims of the Secretaries and the senior military leaders. Back in the early 80s I was in the 101st at Campbell, there was a Sikh in it then who was allowed to wear his turban (Also his beard I think, but he may have had a profile for that). The rules changed later, and have more-or-less consistently prohibited it for the last 20 years or so. There are some Federal cases on it from back in the conscription days, mainly about yarmulkes. This is one of those things that comes and goes, though, depending on the mood of the times.

Fabulous Poster
    I think they should allow the headscarves if the person is an ethnic Muslim and at least a third generation American. No European Muslims, Nation of Islam, no converts, no children or grandchildren of immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Well, JROTC is really a world of its own, tied closer to the school systems than DOD, so how much this will bleed over into the real military is a big unknown.
    Its the camel's nose under the tent flap. Especially with CAIR behind the scenes on this issue.

I can guarentee you that when this comes to a head in the Big Army...this case will be cited.

Still, the Big Army has waffled back and forth on this over the years, depending on the whims of the Secretaries and the senior military leaders. Back in the early 80s I was in the 101st at Campbell, there was a Sikh in it then who was allowed to wear his turban (Also his beard I think, but he may have had a profile for that). The rules changed later, and have more-or-less consistently prohibited it for the last 20 years or so. There are some Federal cases on it from back in the conscription days, mainly about yarmulkes. This is one of those things that comes and goes, though, depending on the mood of the times.
    The only Yarmulkes I've seen worn by any soldiers were ACU pattern and worn during Jewish services by either the Rabbi or his Chaplain's assistant.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I don't recall mentioning turbans being Muslim. Linda gleaning what she wants from a post. Go figure.
    I gleaned it from your all-inclusive term "Islamic headwear". I may have been mistaken, as you were when you put an apostrophe in "yarmulkes", a plural, not a possessive.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken