Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Probably the driver that tossed the TV over the fence.........:p
    I understand people who work in the package areas who are getting laid off due to the hoilday season being over but they dont hire seasonal drivers....I smell bullshit in this story.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Linda, that is just plain snarky.

$500,000 is more than most people will have. Ever. I know people who have plenty believe it is all their doing, and that they have worked for it, and if others would....etc., etc. Sometimes that's true. But Jeb Bush (for Christ's sake!) described himself as a self-made man, so obviously there is a distortion factor at work among the genetically fortunate.

Paris Hilton says she works hard to be who she is. Which is.....?

Everyone says they put themselves through college! As if they had no help.

I know several people who used to have 500K, and have it no longer through no fault of their own. Maybe what you and your husband need is a nice string of real bad luck tied to your ankles to jerk you back down to the land of reality.

No, $500,000 is a lot of money. That's a fact.
    It'd not snarky. It's just a fact. People can be self made and do better than that; the fact is that most start late, or borrow from the accounts, or take money out and pay huge penalties. It takes discipline to see it through. They haven't "lost" anything unless they cashed out when the market was down. As Dave Ramsey says, the only way you can get hurt on a roller coaster is if you jump off.

My parents put me through college because they knew it was an important advantage. It's an expense you have eighteen years to save for, not a sudden emergency. When I see the pathetic stats on what people have saved - or more likely have NOT saved - for the future, I am sorry for them, but $500k is not enough to retire on unless you retire at an advanced age. I'm sorry if the truth sounds "snarky" but that doesn't keep it from being the truth.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    It'd not snarky. It's just a fact. People can be self made and do better than that; the fact is that most start late, or borrow from the accounts, or take money out and pay huge penalties. It takes discipline to see it through. They haven't "lost" anything unless they cashed out when the market was down. As Dave Ramsey says, the only way you can get hurt on a roller coaster is if you jump off.

My parents put me through college because they knew it was an important advantage. It's an expense you have eighteen years to save for, not a sudden emergency. When I see the pathetic stats on what people have saved - or more likely have NOT saved - for the future, I am sorry for them, but $500k is not enough to retire on unless you retire at an advanced age. I'm sorry if the truth sounds "snarky" but that doesn't keep it from being the truth.
    Linda is correct, I hired a inancial advisor last year. She showed me that for me to retire and maintain my target life style I need $2,000,000.00. Put in prespective $500k is not much for a retirement account. It is a large ammount if it's annual income or a simple savings account.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    Linda is correct, I hired a inancial advisor last year. She showed me that for me to retire and maintain my target life style I need $2,000,000.00. Put in prespective $500k is not much for a retirement account. It is a large amount if it's annual income or a simple savings account.
    Thanks for the endorsement. I was just being honest about it.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Thank God I am not the only one to notice was a show off she is. Normally I dont wish bad luck on people but for Lindanumbers could use a string of really bad luck that would stamp some of the conceit out of her.
    Well, maybe you'll get your wish and I'll have terminal cancer. Merry Christmas to you, too. If it's a problem money can solve, though, I'll be fine.

Thanks for the endorsement. I was just being honest about it.
    You are welcome, I am also a graduate of Financial Peace University. I have been debt free for quite a while now, living like no-one else so I can live like no-one else. :D
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Power CUer
    As I said on the "Resolutions" thread, we were debt free long before we ever heard of Dave Ramsey. We were both raised by parents who were very good investors and savers, and they set a good example.

As I said on the "Resolutions" thread, we were debt free long before we ever heard of Dave Ramsey.
    But you're DINKs and had your college education paid for.

Most folks don't have that living arrangement or a head start like that.
    Last edited by JB; 12-26-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    Be Not Afraid.

Well, maybe you'll get your wish and I'll have terminal cancer. Merry Christmas to you, too. If it's a problem money can solve, though, I'll be fine.
    I know people with more money then you who dont show it off like yourself or act as you do. Your problems money can't fix but you already knew that. Actually if you were less well off you might learn some humility, I doubt it but who knows? So please spare me your rant.
    Last edited by Bailey; 12-26-2011 at 05:50 PM.

As I said on the "Resolutions" thread, we were debt free long before we ever heard of Dave Ramsey. We were both raised by parents who were very good investors and savers, and they set a good example.
    And I am sure they didnt give you a red cent for anything you have in life?