Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 93-Year-Old Tennessee Woman Who Cleaned State Capitol For 30 Years Denied Voter ID 
    link

deminks

93-Year-Old Tennessee Woman Who Cleaned State Capitol For 30 Years Denied Voter ID

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...nied-voter-id/

A 93-year-old Tennessee woman who cleaned the state Capitol for 30 years, including the governor’s office, says she won’t be able to vote for the first time in decades after being told this week that her old state ID failed to meet new voter ID regulations.

Thelma Mitchell was even accused of being an undocumented immigrant because she couldn’t produce a birth certificate:

Mitchell, who was delivered by a midwife in Alabama in 1918, has never had a birth certificate. But when she told that to a drivers’ license clerk, he suggested she might be an illegal immigrant.

Thelma Mitchell told WSMV-TV that she went to a state drivers’ license center last week after being told that her old state ID from her cleaning job would not meet new regulations for voter identification.

(end snip)

GOPer Mission Accomplished
    Response to deminks (Original post)Mon Dec 26, 2011, 04:01 PM
    coalition_unwilling

1. What's more disgusting than the crime being perpetrated upon

Ms. Mitchell is that the vast majority of Repukes will have no problem with this and many will actually approve of the treatment of Mitchell.
    mysuzuki2
    Response to deminks (Original post) Mon Dec 26, 2011, 04:14 PM

2. I'll be willing to bet that this lady is Black.

Mission accomplished.
    So we're back to the racist Dems and "it's all about race".

proud2BlibKansan
    Response to deminks (Original post)Mon Dec 26, 2011, 04:20 PM

3. An update:
    But a spokesman for the House Republican Caucus said Mitchell was given bad information. Brent Leatherwood said even an expired state ID will allow her to vote.

Asked about why Mitchell might have been confused or received incorrect information about the new voter ID law, Leatherwood said only that the provision that allows for the use of state employee IDs is “pretty straightforward.”

He said staff would be contacting Mitchell to get to the bottom of the miscommunication.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...t-get-voter-ID
    And then there is this, which liberals will never acknowledge. Those who do not have birth certificates because they were born many years ago when many did not have their births registered DO HAVE a way to get a delayed birth certificate.

http://www.knoxcounty.org/recordsmgmt/mhdrecords.php

SPECIAL NOTE: Many older individuals who were born at home or in rural areas never had birth certificates submitted to Vital Records. In these cases, one can obtain a "delayed" registration of birth. The Tennessee Department of Health has promulgated rules which govern the issuance of these certificates. Contact Vital Records at the number given above for more information on this process.
    This is not about people not having birth certificates or IDs. This is about making sure that illegal aliens, dead people, and convicts can vote and so those liberals that want to vote more than once can.
    Last edited by Rockntractor; 12-26-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: fix link

zazen 9. and that's exactly the point!!! all it takes is one piece of "bad info"

But we know, how many times have we been told w/r/t some regulation six different versions of the steps we need to take to meet the damned thing? Every additional step challenges our motivation, and our time...
    You've just described government in general, numnutz.

PS - Carol - linky no worky. Has too many http://
    Be Not Afraid.

I call BS on this story. As a State Employee she is required to have a valid State identification. She is also given a photo ID to show she works at the capitol, she is also given a non-photo ID signed by the Governor (Rubber Stamp Signature). I have over 16 years experience as a Tennessee State Employee.

She probably (Meaning just a guess) ended up in the line with a newly hired employee that saw an oportunity to make a big deal out of the new law. WSMV is run by left wing management, and most of their reporters are big left wingers also.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Question: How come I need 6 points to renew...yes, that's RENEW not obtain my drivers licence but that criteria is not OK for voter ID?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    I call BS on this story. As a State Employee she is required to have a valid State identification. She is also given a photo ID to show she works at the capitol, she is also given a non-photo ID signed by the Governor (Rubber Stamp Signature). I have over 16 years experience as a Tennessee State Employee.

She probably (Meaning just a guess) ended up in the line with a newly hired employee that saw an oportunity to make a big deal out of the new law. WSMV is run by left wing management, and most of their reporters are big left wingers also.
    Interestingly, the only story about this on Channel 4's website is the Associated Press story. No original reporting by WSMV anywhere on this.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Fabulous Poster
    My mom is 84 years old. She told me she doesn't know "off hand" where her birth certificate is. I asked how she could lose a stone tablet.

The point is that I am sick of this anecdotal bullshit. I don't care if this woman cleaned the state house or a whore house, if she's a functioning adult in American society she needs to be able to provide a government issued ID to function. How does she write checks and slow down the grocery line?

I live in a town where the median age is 76 years old. You read that right, half of the people in Pasadena Florida are over 76 years old. And they drive all drive until it simply isn't possible anymore for them to get themselves to the car. Hell, the ones who have a child or grandchild who has lost his license (I have actually seen this at the doctor's office) get wheeled to the drivers seat and placed in the car by the interdicted inebriate.

Any system of voter security is going to inconvenience or eliminate a handful of people. Maybe even a handful of black people. Guess what? That's life. It simply cannot be said that these voter ID laws will disenfranchise large numbers of people, and there are remedies for those it will. As long as those bases are covered, then people need to grow the F up.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    .......... placed in the car by the interdicted inebriate............
    "INTERDICTED INEBRIATE"?... lol:D

Tell it like it is, Nova!:D

This is the 21st Century. The possibility of an adult not having some kind of identification is minimal at best. As has been said ad nauseum, you need an ID to take a piss these days so there shouldn't be a problem. And believe me when I tell you that if those who have a problem getting an ID were potential GOP voters, you can bet every little hair on your ass the left would be wailing and gnashing teeth about them needing an ID.
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 12-27-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    This is the 21st Century. The possibility of an adult not having some kind of identification is minimal at best. As has been said ad nauseum, you need an ID to take a piss these days so there shouldn't be a problem. And believe me when I tell you that if those who have a problem getting an ID were potential GOP voters, you can bet every little hair on your ass the left would be wailing and gnashing teeth about them needing an ID.
    I don't really think there is a problem with voter fraud. As I understand it, proven cases of fraud in casting votes is almost nonexistant, voting fraud generally takes places in transportation of the boxes, counting, computers, etc... and even that is so rare we can't name a case off the top of our head.

But anything that pisses off people is OK with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I don't really think there is a problem with voter fraud. As I understand it, proven cases of fraud in casting votes is almost nonexistant, voting fraud generally takes places in transportation of the boxes, counting, computers, etc... and even that is so rare we can't name a case off the top of our head.

But anything that pisses off people is OK with me.
    Think again. Democrats have been engaging in this stuff for ages. The "dead people voting in Chicago" bit is not just some sort of joke; it's a reference to rampant vote fraud perpetrated by the Kennedy campaign, practically out in the open because so many people knew it was going on and couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it.

And no, I'm not claiming that it's exclusive to Democrats. I'm sure there are more than a couple of Republicans over the last several decades who have engaged in some of the same shitty behavior. The thing is, with ID, both Democrats and Republicans get their vote fraud shut down.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.