Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Sears to close 100 to 120 Kmart, Sears stores 
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!

Sears to close 100 to 120 Kmart, Sears stores.

NEW YORK -- Sears Holdings Corp. plans to close between 100 and 120 Sears and Kmart stores after poor sales during the holidays, the most crucial time of year for retailers.

The closings are the latest and most visible in a long series of moves to try to fix a retailer that has struggled with falling sales and shabby stores.

In an internal memo today to employees, CEO and President Lou D'Ambrosio said that the retailer had not "generated the results we were seeking during the holiday."

Sears Holdings Corp. said it has yet to determine which stores will close but said it will post on http://www.searsmedia.com when a final list is compiled. Sears would not discuss how many, if any, jobs would be cut.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGd..._120_kmar.html
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 12-27-2011 at 05:47 PM.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Well, jobs "created or saved", right Jimm...erm Obama...:mad:
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Well, jobs "created or saved", right Jimm...erm Obama...:mad:
    These are not union, so they don't count.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

I predict they will go out of business within the next 5-10 years. People prefer one stop shopping joints nowadays, like Target and Walmart. I don't do Walmart, but Target is my second home. I don't see the need to go Sears for anything other than big ticket items like appliances. Even then, I'd probaby go to Brandsmart.
    K-Mart in my area closed down years ago so I don't shop their either.

Tim Allen not gonna like this at all. Sears sells Binford tools :D

I do shop at Sears and have for years. but today internet sales dominate the retail market.
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Fabulous Poster
    The article I read said the decision was driven my disappointing consumer electronics sales. Not much surprise there when you consider that electronics is hidden upstairs behind vacuum cleaners in a single story mall. The mall entrance has women's clothes, the parking lot entrance has tools and lawn mowers. The store makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    The article I read said the decision was driven my disappointing consumer electronics sales. Not much surprise there when you consider that electronics is hidden upstairs behind vacuum cleaners in a single story mall. The mall entrance has women's clothes, the parking lot entrance has tools and lawn mowers. The store makes no sense.
    the one near me has half a floor for electronics. the othe half tools and mowers. both are usually always busy.
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    the one near me has half a floor for electronics. the othe half tools and mowers. both are usually always busy.
    Free standing store or mall store?

When I was a kid, a trip to Sears on Alabama Avenue in DC was comprehensive. That's where our clothes, Dad's tools, everything for Mom, and most of our Christmas stuff came from. Tires came from Sears. Batteries came from Sears.

But you know what I think is really killing Sears? No hot nuts. Remember the distinctive smell of Sears? A blind man would know he was in Sears, because of the cashew nuts and candy in the middle of the store.

Oh, and when they started charging for the Sears catalogue.

The free standing Sears store was a destination. And the real estate they owned was the "hidden asset" which saved Sears from disappearing 15 years ago.

But those old Sears stores ran on a much higher profit margin I should think. A Sears suit or appliance salesman appeared to make pretty good money when they were paid on commission. Now everyone is hourly, and it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Free standing store or mall store?

When I was a kid, a trip to Sears on Alabama Avenue in DC was comprehensive. That's where our clothes, Dad's tools, everything for Mom, and most of our Christmas stuff came from. Tires came from Sears. Batteries came from Sears.

But you know what I think is really killing Sears? No hot nuts. Remember the distinctive smell of Sears? A blind man would know he was in Sears, because of the cashew nuts and candy in the middle of the store.

Oh, and when they started charging for the Sears catalogue.

The free standing Sears store was a destination. And the real estate they owned was the "hidden asset" which saved Sears from disappearing 15 years ago.

But those old Sears stores ran on a much higher profit margin I should think. A Sears suit or appliance salesman appeared to make pretty good money when they were paid on commission. Now everyone is hourly, and it shows.
    Here is what gets me, they said it was because sales were down 5%, seriously why should 5% be enough for stores to close.
    Do these people have every penny they use for inventory, utilities, payroll and buildings a on loan from a bank or something.
    Crap if I rolled over because things were down 5% I would have been dead a long time ago.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Here is what gets me, they said it was because sales were down 5%, seriously why should 5% be enough for stores to close.
    Do these people have every penny they use for inventory, utilities, payroll and buildings a on loan from a bank or something.
    Crap if I rolled over because things were down 5% I would have been dead a long time ago.
    You would think as large as they are they would be living off their suppliers' money by now (terms start at point of sale).