Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    But see, there is my warm nuts argument. Had you gone to Sears and not bought the TV set, but bought a $2 bag of cashews, they still would have made some money off you.
    The $2 that they'd have gotten for the cashews wouldn't have done them much good if their much more expensive inventory just sits there. If their core business model is failing, heating up their nuts may give them a warm fuzzy feeling, but it isn't going to keep them solvent.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    They have released the initial list of 79 stores.

You can view the current store closure list HERE(PDF).
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

I worked at K-Mart in the mid 80s. It was a fun place to work at the time.

They lost Martha Stewart's brand to Macys. There isn't much left worth buying at K-Mart, now.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I worked at K-Mart in the mid 80s. It was a fun place to work at the time.

They lost Martha Stewart's brand to Macys. There isn't much left worth buying at K-Mart, now.
    I remember running to look for the blue light special with my grandmother.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    They have released the initial list of 79 stores.

You can view the current store closure list HERE(PDF).
    There's a K Mart about six miles from us which is not on the list - but a WalMart just moved in across the street, so it's just a matter of time.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I remember running to look for the blue light special with my grandmother.
    I used to love doing the blue light specials when I worked in the apparel department. It was a fun job for a college student-we did pretty good business at both the stores I worked at. The Grand Rapids store closed at some point in the late 90s and the Kalamazoo store closed at some point in the past few years.

K-Mart has been in trouble for a long, long time.

I've only been into a K-Mart store twice in perhaps ten years. I felt dirty, both times. The aisles were crammed, disorganized, 70/80's floor designs, and mostly garbage merchandise.

Sears is quite a bit better, but it's not some place I really shop at. They have a pretty decent lawn/garden and tool section, but that's about all I've gone there for in ages, and that's pretty rare.
    Last edited by Artois; 01-19-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artois View Post
    I've only been into a K-Mart store twice in perhaps ten years. I felt, dirty, both times. The aisles are crammed, disorganized, 70/80's floor designs, and mostly garbage merchandise.

Sears it world better, but it's not some place I really shop at. They have a pretty decent lawn/garden and tool section, but that's about all I've gone there for in ages, and that's pretty rare.
    The K-Mart in Killeen wasn't bad, and it was right outside the east gate at FT Hood, so it had a good location, but it never seemed to do much business, especially compared to the two WalMarts within five miles of the post.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I worked for K-Mart when I was in school. I don't think I lasted more than a month or two. The store was filthy and as a stock boy they wanted me to wear a shirt and tie.

They paid you in cash which was interesting. I know the local muggers all loved it.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    I worked for K-Mart when I was in school. I don't think I lasted more than a month or two. The store was filthy and as a stock boy they wanted me to wear a shirt and tie.

They paid you in cash which was interesting. I know the local muggers all loved it.

I used to love that! When I worked in Kalamazoo, my bank was in Grand Rapids and the branch in Kalamazoo was for some reason in a different region, and they wouldn't let me deposit checks there. So getting paid in cash was perfect, and my dad could still deposit my tuition money into my checking account in GR. This was before there were ATMs everywhere-they existed, but were only at banks.