1. #1 Anonymous' hackers target U.S. security think tank..steal credit cards to make chari 
    Quite a number of DUers say out and out that it is stealing, and it is wrong. But there are those who cheer Anonymous on because this company and their clients deserve it.

link

Star Member HipChick (7,178 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

View profile

Anonymous' hackers target U.S. security think tank..steal credit cards to make charity donations
    http://www.khon2.com/news/national/s....cspx?rss=1809

The loose-knit hacking movement "Anonymous" claimed Sunday to have stolen thousands of credit card numbers and other personal information belonging to clients of U.S.-based security think tank Stratfor. One hacker said the goal was to pilfer funds from individuals' accounts to give away as Christmas donations, and some victims confirmed unauthorized transactions linked to their credit cards.

Anonymous boasted of stealing Stratfor's confidential client list, which includes entities ranging from Apple Inc. to the U.S. Air Force to the Miami Police Department, and mining it for more than 4,000 credit card numbers, passwords and home addresses.

Austin, Texas-based Stratfor provides political, economic and military analysis to help clients reduce risk, according to a description on its YouTube page. It charges subscribers for its reports and analysis, delivered through the web, emails and videos. The company's main website was down, with a banner saying the "site is currently undergoing maintenance."

Proprietary information about the companies and government agencies that subscribe to Stratfor's newsletters did not appear to be at any significant risk, however, with the main threat posed to individual employees who had subscribed.

"Not so private and secret anymore?" Anonymous taunted in a message on Twitter, promising that the attack on Stratfor was just the beginning of a Christmas-inspired assault on a long list of targets.

Anonymous said the client list it had already posted was a small slice of the 200 gigabytes worth of plunder it stole from Stratfor and promised more leaks. It said it was able to get the credit card details in part because Stratfor didn't bother encrypting them an easy-to-avoid blunder which, if true, would be a major embarrassment for any security-related company.
    Star Member The Doctor. (15,372 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    15. Anonymous performed the initial hack, stole the records, and made the client list public.

View profile

The hackers punishing clients of Stratfor may or may not have been the intention of Anonymous. Either way, it did result in a greater blow being struck against Stratfor.
    Star Member truedelphi (23,816 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    45. Nah, they are just imitating the ruling class!

View profile
    I mean where are the outraged posters about Bernanke offering up Fourteen Trillions of dollars to the top Bankers in the world (Not just here in the USA, but across the globe.)

And yeah, the Bankers say the loans ahve been paid back - but when you investigate, you find out that the fact is all they have done is offer up "collateral" in the form of "investments" that are worth as much as my roll of Charmin - what's up with that?

And yes, two wrongs don't make a right, but if Bernanke got wiped out tomorrow, through actions of Anonymous or others, with Wells Fargo foreclosing on him and his family, I can't but say I'd be smirking.
    Star Member backscatter712 (14,111 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    38. +1.

View profile
    The namby-pambies whining "THAT'S STEALING!" can all sit and pout while the rest of us reclaim our democracy.
    randome (2,276 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    25. Why would Stratfor be the 'devil'?

View profile
    Because they operated a business that someone calling him or herself Anonymous decided they didn't like?

I suppose someone did extensive research on this before acting? Did you?

The client lists weren't 'liberated', they were stolen and people's money used for no good purpose.
    Star Member Modern_Matthew (1,598 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    30. I don't think they went far enough. nt
    Star Member nadinbrzezinski (100,264 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    43. Well given STRATFOR is just above Blackwater in the slime department

View profile
    the attack makes sense from the POV of Anon.

Not defending it, I just happen to get it.
    So those that are applauding this would be cool with someone declaring that the DNC is "slime" and is promoting "fascism" and using that excuse to hack DNC records and publish credit card numbers and donate stolen money to charity?

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Of course if one of their accounts got hit they'd squeal like stuck pigs...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Time after time the members of the hive have supported a wide variety of CRIMINAL actions (violence, theft, vandalism, and harrassment just to name a few) against those they don't like. I honestly hope that any and all of the DUmmies who espouse such opinions get a good bitch-slapping from the Karma they generate.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Of course if one of their accounts got hit they'd squeal like stuck pigs...
    No doubt on that one.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

The flagrant disregard for law today is just sickening. To outright support theft because you think your sticking it to "the man" just makes me want to punch people in the mouth.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.