Thread: MSNBC poll

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Why? does it threaten you?
    No, they are just meaningless words.

The only possible threatening thing about them is what is behind them... those who vote for opportunistic politicians who insist we partake in this empty theistic posturing, and that it somehow confers us blessings from their deity of choice, and actually make other political decisions based on that false foundation. But the words themselves are there, I don't see any particular need to worry about removing them.

you mean like every president we have ever had? lol
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    you mean like every president we have ever had? lol
    It is an unwritten, yet very real, requirement that a president must have some sort of religion. This guarantees that we have presidents who will convincingly pay their 'faith' lip service to woo the faithful, but not necessarily anything more. Sure some presidents are truly religious, but I bet there have been more than a few, who in their heart of hearts, were atheist.

These little issues simply function as a tool for politicians to give themselves the illusion of righteousness. That is the only threatening thing about those words.
    Last edited by wilbur; 09-14-2008 at 05:21 PM.

It's possible - but as I tell people all the time - it's not what they say but what they do that speaks loudest.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Sonnabend
    and if I did then I wouldn't be so pathetic
    Fixx0Red :D:D

Eyelids
    Wow Sonnabend, you just get more original and cunning by the day.

Quote Originally Posted by jediab View Post
    I say if people want that phrase taken off the currency, then let them pay for it.

Start up a collection and donate the funds to the US Treasury to make the new plates, molds, and other equipment to make it happen.
    This minor issue is often missed. It is better to leave well enough alone and the margin of Athiests do what they have done for years, ignore it.

A few quotes the Athiest and Separation of Church and State crowd seem to have missed:

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people." John Adams

"It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the Providence of Almighty God." George Washington

"We recognize no sovereign but God and no king but Jesus." John Adams & John Hancock
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand