Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Sea Shepherd's boat in distress 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Who said Godzilla isn't real??? :D

Wed Dec 28, 2011, 09:10 PM
    The Straight Story

Sea Shepherd's boat in distress

Sea Shepherd's boat in distress

Anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd's vessel Brigitte Bardot has been struck by a rogue wave that has cracked the hull and is being pounded by heavy seas about 2400km southwest of Fremantle.

Sea Shepherd says the accident happened as the boat tailed Japanese whaling ship Nisshin Maru in six metre swells.

Its South African captain Jonathan Miles Renecle was confident the ship, which has a 10-member crew, would stay afloat until it was reached by Sea Shepherd flagship Steve Irwin.

Captain Paul Watson onboard the Steve Irwin reports that they are fighting heavy seas to reach the position of the Brigitte Bardot some 240 miles to the southeast.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1...at-in-distress
    May the FORCE be with you!

To quote Mr. Spock: "To hunt a species to it's extinction is not logical."
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    To quote Mr. Spock: "To hunt a species to it's extinction is not logical."
    So's being an asshole with too much time and money on your hands.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Gee, that's too bad...I like to use that show as a outstanding case study in bad leadership, and recommend young officers watch it to learn what not to do...with the advantage of their fuck-ups being funny as Hell!

What? It's not supposed to be a comedy? Well, it's still funny as Hell, anyway!

:D

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Gee, that's too bad...I like to use that show as a outstanding case study in bad leadership, and recommend young officers watch it to learn what not to do...with the advantage of their fuck-ups being funny as Hell!

I've never watched it. Is it really good OPD fodder?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I've never watched it. Is it really good OPD fodder?
    It depends on the episode, but as long as you don't have any bleeding heart libs in the crowd, I found it a useful change of pace. You should check out a couple of them, I don't know how to really descibe the unintentional sardonic comedy that ensues when a passive-aggressive windbag zealot is placed in charge of a mix of like-minded dopes with some sea skills plus a bunch of merely normal zealots who don't really have any naval, military, or maritime experience at all, aboard a small ship in hostile seas.

I've never understood Japanese whalers.

The Japanese quota includes 935 minke, 50 fin and 50 humpback whales per season, and while they rarely meet their quota they certainly try.

As my name implies, I have learned something about whaling. The minke and fin whales were never hunted back in 'the day' because they are too fast, and the humpback has the advantage of sinking when killed so it was never hunted, either.

The Greenland right whale used to have an enormous population. At the peak of the whaling years - about 1850 - 68,000 of them were killed in one year. Today, the population is a few hundred. After the right whale became hard to find the sperm whale came under attack, and then the bowhead, which is like a very large right whale.

The Japanese insist that they are hunting whales for scientific research. No one believes that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    I've never understood Japanese whalers.

The Japanese quota includes 935 minke, 50 fin and 50 humpback whales per season, and while they rarely meet their quota they certainly try.

As my name implies, I have learned something about whaling. The minke and fin whales were never hunted back in 'the day' because they are too fast, and the humpback has the advantage of sinking when killed so it was never hunted, either.

The Greenland right whale used to have an enormous population. At the peak of the whaling years - about 1850 - 68,000 of them were killed in one year. Today, the population is a few hundred. After the right whale became hard to find the sperm whale came under attack, and then the bowhead, which is like a very large right whale.

The Japanese insist that they are hunting whales for scientific research. No one believes that, though.
    Back in the day they were hunted for oil. While the Japanese may keep the oil, it's only incidental to what they are really after, which is the meat. Blubber is much less dense than muscle - so, back in the day the Western whalers wanted the floaters, now the Japanese whalers want the sinkers.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I liked when the Sea-Hippies lost their 1st cool looking boat. The Japs taught them a valuable lesson, don't put a fiberglass boat in front of a steel hulled ship. :eek::D
    May the FORCE be with you!

It depends on the episode, but as long as you don't have any bleeding heart libs in the crowd, I found it a useful change of pace. You should check out a couple of them, I don't know how to really descibe the unintentional sardonic comedy that ensues when a passive-aggressive windbag zealot is placed in charge of a mix of like-minded dopes with some sea skills plus a bunch of merely normal zealots who don't really have any naval, military, or maritime experience at all, aboard a small ship in hostile seas.
    Damn. Now I've got to watch it.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.