Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1 Will Google, Amazon, and Facebook Black Out the Net? 
    Senior Member txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,931
    In the growing battle for the future of the Web, some of the biggest sites online -- Google, Facebook, and other tech stalwarts -- are considering a coordinated blackout of their sites, some of the web’s most popular destinations.

    No Google searches. No Facebook updates. No Tweets. No Amazon.com shopping. Nothing.
    The action would be a dramatic response to the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), a bill backed by the motion picture and recording industries that the creators of some of the web's biggest sites argue could dramatically restrict law-abiding U.S. companies -- and reshape the web as we know it.

    Such a move is drastic. And though the details of exactly how it would work are unclear, it's already under consideration, according to Markham Erickson, the executive director of NetCoalition, a trade association that includes the likes of Google, PayPal, Yahoo, and Twitter.

    “Mozilla had a blackout day and Wikipedia has talked about something similar,” Erickson told FoxNews.com, calling this kind of operation unprecedented.

    "A number of companies have had discussions about that," he said.

    With the Senate debating the SOPA legislation at the end of January, it looks as if the tech industry’s top dogs are finally adding bite to their bark, something CNET called "the nuclear option."

    "When the home pages of Google.com, Amazon.com, Facebook.com, and their Internet allies simultaneously turn black with anti-censorship warnings that ask users to contact politicians about a vote in the U.S. Congress the next day on SOPA,” Declan McCullagh wrote, “you’ll know they’re finally serious.”


    http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...#ixzz1i2fp0LYC
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,062
    It won't affect me one bit. Unless CU participates.

    Is CU participating??? :p
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Resident Grandpa marv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Shell Knob, MO
    Posts
    3,035
    I shop more, and buy more, at Amazon.com than at Walmart...........

    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

    THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Isn't the internet entirely funneled through the computers at Indiana State University?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    SOPA is one of the most destructive bills ever devised for the internet. Just the fact that the MPAA is behind it makes it suspect.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,931
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    SOPA is one of the most destructive bills ever devised for the internet. Just the fact that the MPAA is behind it makes it suspect.
    I imagine those lowly folks at the RIAA are behind it too. They've been the biggest luddites where new technology is concerned in the last 30 years.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    You can never leave hai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kapolei,Hawaii
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    SOPA is one of the most destructive bills ever devised for the internet. Just the fact that the MPAA is behind it makes it suspect.
    This.

    If it ever passes,then let us vote out the people who were for the bill the next election.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,428
    Quote Originally Posted by hai View Post
    This.

    If it ever passes,then let us vote out the people who were for the bill the next election.
    Here are the sponsors:

    H.R.3261
    Latest Title: Stop Online Piracy Act
    Sponsor: Rep Smith, Lamar [TX-21] Republican(introduced 10/26/2011) Cosponsors (31)
    Related Bills: S.968, S.1228
    Latest Major Action: 12/16/2011 House committee/subcommittee actions. Status: Committee Consideration and Mark-up Session Held.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    COSPONSORS(31), ALPHABETICAL [followed by Cosponsors withdrawn]: (Sort: by date)
    Rep Amodei, Mark E. [NV-2] - 11/3/2011 Republican
    Rep Baca, Joe [CA-43] - 12/7/2011 Democrat
    Rep Barrow, John [GA-12] - 11/14/2011 Democrat
    Rep Bass, Karen [CA-33] - 11/3/2011 Democrat
    Rep Berman, Howard L. [CA-28] - 10/26/2011 Democrat
    Rep Blackburn, Marsha [TN-7] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Bono Mack, Mary [CA-45] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Carter, John R. [TX-31] - 11/3/2011 Republican
    Rep Chabot, Steve [OH-1] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Chu, Judy [CA-32] - 11/30/2011 Democrat
    Rep Conyers, John, Jr. [MI-14] - 10/26/2011 Democrat
    Rep Cooper, Jim [TN-5] - 12/12/2011 Democrat
    Rep Deutch, Theodore E. [FL-19] - 10/26/2011 Democrat
    Rep Gallegly, Elton [CA-24] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Goodlatte, Bob [VA-6] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Griffin, Tim [AR-2] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Holden, Tim [PA-17] - 11/30/2011 Democrat
    Rep King, Peter T. [NY-3] - 11/3/2011 Republican
    Rep Larson, John B. [CT-1] - 11/30/2011 Democrat
    Rep Lujan, Ben Ray [NM-3] - 11/14/2011 Democrat
    Rep Marino, Tom [PA-10] - 11/3/2011 Republican
    Rep Nunnelee, Alan [MS-1] - 11/3/2011 Republican
    Rep Owens, William L. [NY-23] - 11/14/2011 Democrat
    Rep Quayle, Benjamin [AZ-3] - 12/13/2011 Republican
    Rep Ross, Dennis [FL-12] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Scalise, Steve [LA-1] - 11/14/2011 Republican
    Rep Schiff, Adam B. [CA-29] - 10/26/2011 Democrat
    Rep Sherman, Brad [CA-27] - 12/7/2011 Democrat
    Rep Terry, Lee [NE-2] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Wasserman Schultz, Debbie [FL-20] - 11/3/2011 Democrat
    Rep Watt, Melvin L. [NC-12] - 11/3/2011 Democrat

    Pretty bipartisan from the looks of things.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Here are the sponsors:

    H.R.3261
    Latest Title: Stop Online Piracy Act
    Sponsor: Rep Smith, Lamar [TX-21] Republican(introduced 10/26/2011) Cosponsors (31)
    Related Bills: S.968, S.1228
    Latest Major Action: 12/16/2011 House committee/subcommittee actions. Status: Committee Consideration and Mark-up Session Held.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    COSPONSORS(31), ALPHABETICAL [followed by Cosponsors withdrawn]: (Sort: by date)
    Rep Amodei, Mark E. [NV-2] - 11/3/2011 Republican
    Rep Baca, Joe [CA-43] - 12/7/2011 Democrat
    Rep Barrow, John [GA-12] - 11/14/2011 Democrat
    Rep Bass, Karen [CA-33] - 11/3/2011 Democrat
    Rep Berman, Howard L. [CA-28] - 10/26/2011 Democrat
    Rep Blackburn, Marsha [TN-7] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Bono Mack, Mary [CA-45] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Carter, John R. [TX-31] - 11/3/2011 Republican
    Rep Chabot, Steve [OH-1] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Chu, Judy [CA-32] - 11/30/2011 Democrat
    Rep Conyers, John, Jr. [MI-14] - 10/26/2011 Democrat
    Rep Cooper, Jim [TN-5] - 12/12/2011 Democrat
    Rep Deutch, Theodore E. [FL-19] - 10/26/2011 Democrat
    Rep Gallegly, Elton [CA-24] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Goodlatte, Bob [VA-6] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Griffin, Tim [AR-2] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Holden, Tim [PA-17] - 11/30/2011 Democrat
    Rep King, Peter T. [NY-3] - 11/3/2011 Republican
    Rep Larson, John B. [CT-1] - 11/30/2011 Democrat
    Rep Lujan, Ben Ray [NM-3] - 11/14/2011 Democrat
    Rep Marino, Tom [PA-10] - 11/3/2011 Republican
    Rep Nunnelee, Alan [MS-1] - 11/3/2011 Republican
    Rep Owens, William L. [NY-23] - 11/14/2011 Democrat
    Rep Quayle, Benjamin [AZ-3] - 12/13/2011 Republican
    Rep Ross, Dennis [FL-12] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Scalise, Steve [LA-1] - 11/14/2011 Republican
    Rep Schiff, Adam B. [CA-29] - 10/26/2011 Democrat
    Rep Sherman, Brad [CA-27] - 12/7/2011 Democrat
    Rep Terry, Lee [NE-2] - 10/26/2011 Republican
    Rep Wasserman Schultz, Debbie [FL-20] - 11/3/2011 Democrat
    Rep Watt, Melvin L. [NC-12] - 11/3/2011 Democrat

    Pretty bipartisan from the looks of things.
    yes, and they are fools. BIG FUCKING FOOLS. Not one of them understand the internet and how technology really works.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    You can never leave hai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kapolei,Hawaii
    Posts
    1,132
    This just in,tomorrow sites like Reddit and others will do a blackout in protest.

    http://techland.time.com/2012/01/12/...-main-mostpop1

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...cy-legislation

    And the president is even saying that the bill can blow it out it's butt.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •