1. #1 Gluten-free diet linked to increased depression and eating disorders 
    Having to follow a restrictive diet that limits the consumption of foods like bread and pasta has been shown to cause depression, disordered eating and impaired quality of life in women suffering from celiac disease, says a new report that delves into the psychiatric impacts of leading a gluten-free lifestyle.

In a study published in the December issue of Chronic Illness, researchers from Penn State University, Syracuse University and Drexel University analyzed the online answers of 177 American women who suffer from celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder triggered by gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley and rye-based products.

Symptoms of the illness include abdominal pain, constipation, decreased appetite, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.

In their study, researchers found that women who adhered to strict gluten-free diets also reported higher rates of stress, depression, and body image issues compared to the general population. ...
    http://articles.boston.com/2011-12-3...mmune-disorder

I'm embarassed to say that a chiropractor in St Louis duped me out of too much money for her unnecessary, unhelpful appointments. She also told me that I was gluten intolerant and wasted too much money on buying that very expensive food.

It was the placebo effect---started feeling better til my primary care physician really laughed and laughed. I was so embarassed. :o

That was the end of my gluten free diet. I didn't have a chance to get depressed over it-----just embarassed. Maybe I was depressed a bit when I figured out how much all of this cost us.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Power CUer
    Of course people get depressed when they're told they can't eat whatever they want. :)

Celiac can be misdiagnosed, but when correctly diagnosed it can be a lifesaver. A cousin of my husband's was diagnosed with it, and now that she's on course with the diet she feels great and looks better than I have ever seen her.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Of course people get depressed when they're told they can't eat whatever they want. :)

Celiac can be misdiagnosed, but when correctly diagnosed it can be a lifesaver. A cousin of my husband's was diagnosed with it, and now that she's on course with the diet she feels great and looks better than I have ever seen her.
    There is a whackjob factor to the gluten free zone, though. I'd guess that the majority of gluten free people are self diagnosed or diagnosed by the world famous experts at the healthfood store.

Like Novaheart once said: You know you're a hippie when you think that some pot smoking clerk at Nature's Harvest knows more about cancer than your doctor at University Hospital Center.

Power CUer
    That could very well be; she was diagnosed by a real doctor through extensive bloodwork.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    That could very well be; she was diagnosed by a real doctor through extensive bloodwork.
    That's the key---extensive bloodwork. That hippie chiropractor in St Louis who was getting rich with a full waiting room of suckers listening to her nonsense didn't do any bloodwork. On the wall behind her receptionist were piles of various vitamins and super secret cures. The only good thing was her telling me to take magnesium supplements, which helped leg cramps.

I never returned when they tried to get me to sign up for a "package" of about 20 visits, prepaid of course. Luckily I had only gone a couple of times. I told them I'd think about it and would call them. Of course I never called.

Celiac disease is real, but it's misdiagnosed so many times. A co-worker had it and her health improved remarkably when she went gluten free.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    The problem for most people isn't the gluten, it's the White processed wheat where they remove like 23 vitamins and minerals and replace them with 6.

There are those that really are allergic to gluten, I know one for sure and she's not depressed at all! LOL
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

My SIL is on a gluten-free diet and is not depressed. I don't know if she has celiac disease, or if it's something her doctor recommended to help with her lupus. Either way, she's a missionary and travels all around the world, regardless of her "condition".

Hey, you tell me I can't have bread, beer, or pasta, you can bet your ass I'm going to be depressed.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

This is very interesting. I had no idea there was so much controversy over this.... I'm definitely going to ignore the gluten free stuff and stick with the whole grains.