Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1 Teacher stuffs autistic boy into a duffel bag 
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,870
    Outrageous treatment of an autistic boy

    I don't believe that a teacher stuffed an autistic kid into a duffel bag at school for misbehaving. It's an AP article that didn't go into the specifics about whether the child was mainstreamed into a regular class or if it was a class devoted to kids with developmental problems.

    No matter which type class, it sounds like the staff there needs additional training in handling kids with developmental difficulties. This isn't the Middle Ages. I'm sure the teacher was overwhelmed, but the school district is responsible for supporting both students and teachers. That teacher made a really bad decision in her handling of the situation, in my opinion.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    8,006
    I agree. Everyone knows that a steamer trunk is far sturdier.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    13,094
    I love working with autistic kids, they are so much fun. They seem to like me, too, because they seek me out at the pool and in public places. I know how frustrating some of the behavior can be, especially with autistic kids who also have developmental disabilities, but dealing with it in this manner not only is cruel, it also probably will cause an increase in misbehavior in that adult's presence from that point on.


    The school district needs to help the mom make alternate arrangements, even if they have to pay for a private school, transport the kid to a neighboring district or find a specialized school program through a local college or university. They also need to fire the teacher in question.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    I agree. Everyone knows that a steamer trunk is far sturdier.
    I know I am going to burn for laughing at this but that was funny lol
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,870
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I love working with autistic kids, they are so much fun. They seem to like me, too, because they seek me out at the pool and in public places. I know how frustrating some of the behavior can be, especially with autistic kids who also have developmental disabilities, but dealing with it in this manner not only is cruel, it also probably will cause an increase in misbehavior in that adult's presence from that point on.


    The school district needs to help the mom make alternate arrangements, even if they have to pay for a private school, transport the kid to a neighboring district or find a specialized school program through a local college or university. They also need to fire the teacher in question.
    You have some good ideas on how to correct the situation that probably are a good alternative to the homeschooling.
    Last edited by SaintLouieWoman; 01-08-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,762
    Usually, most teachers are not specifically trained to deal with autism and other disorders unless they are specifically Special Ed teachers. In fact, most teacher training (outside of Special Ed) does not even cover common learning disorders (like dyslexia) no less far more severe issues.
    Last edited by Elspeth; 01-05-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,565
    Maybe that was the class room "no spin zone?":eek:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post

    You have some good ideas on how to correct the situation that probably are a good alternative to the homeschooling.
    I wish someone would have the guts to institute vouchers nationwide.

    We had to jump through hoops to keep Little Darling in private school, and ended up homeschooling.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •