Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    not all states give you the right to home defense. OK does and mine and some others
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

I don't even care what the states allow. Step into my home uninvited and you'll be room temp soon. I figure they still don't put dead people in prison so if I go, I'm alive. Maybe the ACLU would take my case?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    not all states give you the right to home defense. OK does and mine and some others
    Georgia has a "Stand Your Ground Law" ... Shoot first, ask questions later, type of thing.

Passed in 2006 or something. Think that it is still on the books.

Couldn't find any up to date info.

~ ABC

Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Georgia has a "Stand Your Ground Law" ... Shoot first, ask questions later, type of thing.

Passed in 2006 or something. Think that it is still on the books.

Couldn't find any up to date info.

~ ABC
    shoot first then explain it all at city hall

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. More than twenty minutes, in this case.

I'm wondering what the dog was doing. Wouldn't the dog be attacking the man as he came through the door? How did she shoot the man but not the dog?

Fabulous Poster
    Fortunately, the constitution does. You might be guilty of a firearms charge in those other states, but your right to defend yourself in a life or death situation is above state law.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    The accomplice is being charged with 1st degree murder for his role in the death instead. I don't think that makes sense. He should definitely be charged with burglary for breaking in and manslaughter for the death, or maybe 2nd degree murder instead. I thought 1st degree was only for premeditated murder, which this was not. I wouldn't want the guy to get a light sentence because the charges brought against him are bogus.

Of course the woman should not be charged with anything, she might even be entitled for psychological damages from the accomplice for being forced to take a life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    The first degree is likely a plan to get him to plea bargain down, you are right, it doesn't fit the legal description of the crime.
    He's getting off lightly, considering that she hadn't exhausted her ammo on the first perp. :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    In the eyes of the law, the pre-meditation is not for the murder, but for going to the house with the intent of committing a burgle. IOW, because he planned to go to the house, and he knew that what they were doing could potentially result in bodily harm or death, he as much as planned the killing.

It's a pretty long-standing legal precept, actually. We just don't often hear about it.
    I understand the concept, but I think there ought to be a distinction between the victim getting killed and an accomplice being killed.

If Joe and Ted rob C-mart and Ted kills Mohammed, then Joe should be charged with Mohammed's murder. If Mohammed kills Ted, I don't think Joe should be charged with murder.

I also think that they should make shitting your pants in public a crime, so that they can humiliate guys like the accomplice in Oklahoma by putting out a headling that says, "Man shits his pants when woman defends herself."

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I understand the concept, but I think there ought to be a distinction between the victim getting killed and an accomplice being killed.

If Joe and Ted rob C-mart and Ted kills Mohammed, then Joe should be charged with Mohammed's murder. If Mohammed kills Ted, I don't think Joe should be charged with murder.

I also think that they should make shitting your pants in public a crime, so that they can humiliate guys like the accomplice in Oklahoma by putting out a headling that says, "Man shits his pants when woman defends herself."
    in this case man got his shit blown away by armed woman.

shoot first then explain it all at city hall
    YIKES!!! :eek:

~ ABC