1. #1 Pulaski WI Marching Band 'Sticking to the Union' in Rose Bowl Parade 
    LOL

link

Star Member PeaceNikki (16,975 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

View profile
    Pulaski WI Marching Band 'Sticking to the Union' in Rose Bowl Parade

The Pulaski High Marching Band, of Pulaski Wisconsin, made an awesome statement in yesterday's Rose Bowl Parade.

It was quite an honor for the Red Raiders from this small town (pop. approx. 3000) northwest of Green Bay to be marching in 80-degree weather in Pasadena, while their proud community looked on from windy 18-degree Wisconsin.

The TV coverage started as they marched along playing "On Wisconsin," looking properly Badger-like in their red uniforms.

And then they got to the grandstand, at about 1:15 in the YouTube ... listen to what happened.

*embedded video*

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...se-Bowl-Parade

Oh yes, they're gettin' down -- to Union Maid, written by Woody Guthrie!

The Walker supporters here are totally verklempt about this.
    Star Member Cal Carpenter (1,504 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    1. That was awesome

Woulda been even better if those commentators had a clue what was happening, LOL
    Star Member annabanana (41,377 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    3. MOST excellent! . . . . . . n/t
    BUT..........
    link

Star Member TheMightyFavog (12,400 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

No political message intended in Wisconsin marching band's Rose Parade performance
    http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...=2012120103177

PULASKI — School leaders say the high school marching band had no hidden agenda when it chose to perform a song that could be seen as supporting unions during the Tournament of Roses parade in Pasadena, Calif., on Monday.

The left-leaning Daily Kos website praised the Red Raider marching band for performing “Union Maid,” a song written by folk singer Woody Guthrie that includes the lyrics “I’m sticking to the union till the day I die.”

District Superintendent Mel Lightner said Tuesday that band director Tom Busch, who chose the music, didn’t intend to send a message.

“He wasn’t aware there were any lyrics to it,” Lightner said. “We thought it was the ‘Red Wing Polka,’ and I believe that’s how it was listed on the itinerary. The reason he selected it was it was his grandmother’s favorite polka. I don’t know when they added the lyrics to it.
    Pulaski is near my home town. When I saw that first OP where they were giddy about the band playing a UNION song I knew it was highly unlikely there was a message in it about unions or politics. That's a conservative area, fairly rural.............unions are not likely to be looked upon in a favorable light.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    LOL

link

BUT..........

Pulaski is near my home town. When I saw that first OP where they were giddy about the band playing a UNION song I knew it was highly unlikely there was a message in it about unions or politics. That's a conservative area, fairly rural.............unions are not likely to be looked upon in a favorable light.
    "Red wing" is one of the most fruitful tunes for bawdy parodies in all of US music, there are tons of different lyrics for it, most of them quite ribald.

:D

Like a good Leftist, Guthrie just stole it for his own words, he didn't write the music.