Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 An Open Letter to Everyone 
    Dear U.S. Army Corporal Jesse Thorsen, U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, the American military and too many American people,

Stop it. Just freakiní stop.

Yesterday in Iowa, millions of viewers watched as a young corporal and his Svengali politico played a very dangerous game with our military and its traditional separation from partisan politics. Wearing his Army Combat Uniform, Cpl. Jesse Thorsen mounted the stage in Des Moines and openly endorsed a Texas Republican as the next president of the United States.

Just as Iíve asked activists to quit doing this, I fear the time has come to address a much wider audience on our collective failure to protect the Constitution.

Iíll take you in turn.

Cpl Thorsen, I admire your zeal for engaging fellow citizens in questions about war and policy. I wish more people your age would enter the scrum of public debate because our American democracy would be better for it.

Sure, I donít get how a guy who says heís done a decade in uniform is only an E-4, but as a fellow vet I respect that CAB youíre rocking, not to mention that youíve survived two overseas deployments and a third looms.

But follow the &^%$#&* law and take off your &^%$#&* ACUs when you attend rallies for presidential candidates. And never use your status as a soldier to pimp Paul to the public.

Youíve been given a very great privilege to wear the uniform of our nation. When you put it on, you telegraph to others that youíve pledged your life to defend our Constitution against all enemies foreign or domestic.

But your actions last night in Iowa made you into an enemy of that sacred document because you decoupled service from the living law it embodies and hitched your duty to a charismatic political figure.

If you canít muster the moral courage to stop doing that in the future, then you should exit the service. Or the Army should evict you from the ranks.

Rep. Paul, Iíve told my readers in the past that while I donít endorse your candidacy (or that of anyone else) I respect your service to our nation. Youíve become an essential voice within a wider debate about our adventures overseas and their cancerous effects on democracy.

But as a former officer in our U.S. Air Force and an elected member of our Congress ó a man who also has pledged both in uniform and out to protect our Constitution ó how dare you summon a corporal to the dais to desecrate that which you claim to honor?

How did you, of all men, invite the ghost of militarism to haunt our house of democracy? You know better than that, which is why I reserve the harshest judgment for you.

Shame on you, hypocrite, for becoming the very pint-sized Caesar you often rightly castigate.

Following this lamentable moment in American politics, please ensure that your campaign bars those in uniform from suggesting in any way that the institution of the military endorses your policies or personality.

Thanks.

http://www.lineofdeparture.com/2012/...#ixzz1ifz5EPAX
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

It's a good read overall...however..I do take issue whith Prine's premise that one lone idiot is somehow the fault of the entire military. CPL Thorsen doesn't represent the vast majority of how soldiers behave anymore than Bradley Manning or Hassan Nidal does. It's kind of a broad generalization.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

The bottom line. Don't wear your uniform to a political function if you are going to get up and support someone.
    Even I wouldn't do that.

You can go to a political function and show Patriotism to the process, but getting up and making partisan speeches is a no no.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    The bottom line. Don't wear your uniform to a political function if you are going to get up and support someone.
    Even I wouldn't do that.

You can go to a political function and show Patriotism to the process, but getting up and making partisan speeches is a no no.
    And the hell of it is...we (soldiers) KNOW better...if you live overseas AFN is chock full of commercials about not doing this.

We preach it to our soldiers stateside too.

If this kid is lucky all that will happen is Company grade with 6 & 6 suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    And the hell of it is...we (soldiers) KNOW better...if you live overseas AFN is chock full of commercials about not doing this.

If this kid is lucky all that will happen is Company grade with 6 & 6 suspended.
    I think he knew what he was doing and didn't care about the consequences. He's a corporal...it wasn't like he was just a Joe. The rules are a bit different for Reservists too....so maybe he didn't think it would backfire. The regs aren't as clear as Active Duty either.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

I think he knew what he was doing and didn't care about the consequences. He's a corporal...it wasn't like he was just a Joe. The rules are a bit different for Reservists too....so maybe he didn't think it would backfire. The regs aren't as clear as Active Duty either.
    Nah the regs are the same for both.

Was watching the caucus at the Denver Airport and was very surprised to see CPL Thorsen in uniform and taking a side. Definitely should not have happened and he can look forward to some ramifications for his actions. Life's tough and there are enough of us stupid Army types for every occasion
    ďA creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.Ē Ė Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post

Yeah I don't get what he was thinking. Those AFN commercials drove me crazy.
    ďA creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.Ē Ė Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

The only difference is that a Reservist can get away with something like this if he isn't in uniform. Once you put on the uniform, the rules are the same. Department of Defense Directive 1344.10, dated February 19, 2008, covers the permissible political activities for uniformed service members.

It is DoD policy to encourage members of the Armed Forces (hereafter referred to as ďmembersĒ) (including members on active duty, members of the Reserve Components not on active duty, members of the National Guard even when in a non-Federal status, and retired members) to carry out the obligations of citizenship. In keeping with the traditional concept that members on active duty should not engage in partisan political activity, and that members not on active duty should avoid inferences that their political activities imply or appear to imply official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement, the following policy shall apply:

>snip<

4.1.2. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty shall not:
    4.1.2.1. Participate in partisan political fundraising activities (except as permitted in subparagraph 4.1.1.7.), rallies, conventions (including making speeches in the course thereof), management of campaigns, or debates, either on oneís own behalf or on that of another, without respect to uniform or inference or appearance of official sponsorship, approval, or endorsement. Participation includes more than mere attendance as a spectator. (See subparagraph 4.1.1.9.)

>snip<

4.1.2.5. Speak before a partisan political gathering, including any gathering that promotes a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.
    4.1.2.6. Participate in any radio, television, or other program or group discussion as an advocate for or against a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.

>snip<

4.1.2.15. Attend partisan political events as an official representative of the Armed Forces, except as a member of a joint Armed Forces color guard at the opening ceremonies of the national conventions of the Republican, Democratic, or other political parties recognized by the Federal Elections Committee or as otherwise authorized by the Secretary concerned.
    Attending a rally in uniform, giving a partisan speech in favor of a candidate in uniform, endorsing a candidate while in uniform, all of this violates the guidance. CPL Thorson has screwed the pooch, and his chain of command is going to make sure that he knows not to do it again.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Department of Defense Directive 1344.10, dated February 19, 2008, covers the permissible political activities for uniformed service members.
    That's pretty much the way it was in the fifties when I was active duty. In fact, when I simply lamented the election of JFK in '60, I was "invited" to a dress down by the CO. Even later, as a Federal employee, it was a requirement to keep my political opinions apart from my work responsibilities.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA