1. #1 Rubio in letter to Obama: You are turning America into a 'deadbeat nation' 
    n a scathing letter sent to Barack Obama this morning, Senator Marco Rubio said that under the President’s first term in office, “more and more people have come to believe that America is becoming a deadbeat nation.”

Rubio went on to pledge that he would challenge any further increase in the debt ceiling, arguing that “we [Congress] need to make it routine to actually spend no more than we take in.” In the letter obtained by HUMAN EVENTS, the Florida Senator said that President Obama’s upcoming request to increase the debt ceiling by a whopping $1.2 trillion will cause the nation’s public debt to surpass the $16 trillion mark.

“I will oppose your request to continue borrowing and spending recklessly.”

President Obama is expected to request the new borrowing power from Congress once the Senate and House return from their holiday recess.

The president must notify Congress when the debt closes within $100 billion of the ceiling, according to the Budget Control Act passed in August. This triggers for Congress their only available option to block an increase, in this case $1.2 trillion, by passing legislation. However, even if the House and Senate do that, the president can still veto their objections. In short, there is very little Republicans can do in a Democratic-controlled Senate to block an increase.

If President Obama led the charge to reduce the country’s unsustainable debt in mid 2011 rather than punt the enterprise to a “Super Committee,” asserted Rubio, we’d already be on a pathway toward economic growth and prosperity. "Unfortunately, the first three years of your presidency have been a profile in leadership failure."

The letter concludes: “America deserves leaders who will stand front and center, level with the American people about our challenges and offer real solutions to solve them. Instead of simply asking for another debt ceiling increase, I urge you to come forward with a real plan to tackle our debt in 2012.”

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=48605
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

President Obama is expected to request the new borrowing power from Congress once the Senate and House return from their holiday recess.
    Weird. In another article from Human Events, they did not call it a recess:

Obama announced the decision Wednesday to make the so-called recess appointments -- even though the Senate is not in recess --

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post

Obama announced the decision Wednesday to make the so-called recess appointments -- even though the Senate is not in recess --
    I saw that too. Everyone but this reporter seems to realize that Congress was still in session.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

The Senate was kept in "Pro Forma" session, which means that just enough senators were on hand to keep it going.
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    I saw that too. Everyone but this reporter seems to realize that Congress was still in session.
    This reporter and Obama. He just made a recess appointment even though the senate wasn't in recess, claiming that the Pro Forma Session was simply a legislative trick to prevent the president from making the appointment, which is technically true, but he didn't feel that way when Harry Reid first came up with the idea in order to keep Bush from making recess appointments.

--Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Was the letter appropriately addressed to Dear Leader, most excellent potentate, Beloved Marxist savior?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Fabulous Poster

That was my first reaction as well. How can they return from recess if they aren't on recess?

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Was the letter appropriately addressed to Dear Leader, most excellent potentate, Beloved Marxist savior?
    Your Excellency,

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    That was my first reaction as well. How can they return from recess if they aren't on recess?
    A congressman from Florida (West, I believe) made a similar comment on the Mark Levin show last week. He complained about the House not having been in recess and then a few minutes later mentioned the House being adjourned for the holidays.

It was odd.

A congressman from Florida (West, I believe) made a similar comment on the Mark Levin show last week. He complained about the House not having been in recess and then a few minutes later mentioned the House being adjourned for the holidays.

It was odd.
    The house was in recess. The senate wasn't. Since only the senate does confirmation hearings, if they are not in recess, you cannot do recess appointments.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!