1. #1 “No Toilet, No Bride” 
    The Bargaining Power of MissingWomen:
    Evidence from a Sanitation Campaign in India
    Yaniv Stopnitzky
    NOVEMBER 12, 2011
    JOB MARKET PAPER
    Abstract
    Female bargaining power in rural Haryana, as in much of northern India, is constrained
    by widespread discrimination against women. In recent years, however, women
    successfully demand private sanitation facilities from potential husbands as a precondition
    for marriage. I study this manifestation of bargaining power by modeling latrine
    adoption as an investment that males can make to improve their desirability on the marriage
    market, and I show that increasing proportions of females with strong sanitation
    preferences drive male investment in toilets. Moreover, I demonstrate women’s ability to
    secure latrines increases when they are relatively scarce in a marriage market. I test these
    predictions empirically by studying a sanitation program in Haryana, India, known colloquially
    as “No Toilet, No Bride”. Using a triple difference empirical strategy based on
    households with and without marriageable boys, in Haryana and comparison states, before
    and after program exposure, I provide evidence that male investment in sanitation
    increased by 15% due to the program. Further, the program effect is four times larger
    in marriage markets where women are scarce (23%) as compared to marriage markets
    where women are abundant (6%). These results suggest the relative scarcity of women
    in Haryana has, conditional on women surviving to marriageable age, improved the
    ability of the remaining women to secure valuable goods. ...
    http://www.yanivstopnitzky.com/wp-co...nitzky-jmp.pdf

I thought it was interesting to see that there is, unusually, a benefit to women as aside effect of the 3rd World preference for boys.

Areas where woman are scarce, could you imagine the absolute peace and quiet?:)
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

All the chicks I know would demand one of these...

http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=67

Even I like the auto lid lift when you stand in front of it.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Areas where woman are scarce, could you imagine the absolute peace and quiet?:)
    Sheep are noisier.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Sheep are noisier.