Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    What are the issues (one or two word titles) which define being a social conservative and how are they related to each other or the definition of conservative?

This isn't a grammar lesson or a gotcha- I'm merely sick of various party members (Democratic and Republican) trying to restrict the meaning of conservative or liberal to their view of what the party should look like.

Abortion is always a difficult issue. As a rule, I just don't discuss it and don't intend to now beyond the fact that abortion has nothing to do with illegal immigration, mass immigration, the moslem threat, or gay rights. Sure, you can jump through some hoops to make a connection if you like, but this isn't the Kevin Bacon game, it's serious.

The bottom line is that abortion is best left alone.

So now that abortion is out of play
    Abortion is not "out of play." Just as other horrible laws stayed "in play" until they were undone, the law that allows the wholesale slaughter of any human below a certain age must be changed. So the first definition of a social conservative is "someone that understands all human life has value."

, what defines a social conservative and what has it got to do with being a fiscal conservative or a foreign policy conservative?

We need to stop illegal immigration. That is neither left nor right, it's simply what needs to be done.

We need to deport illegal aliens in this country, otherwise we're sending a mixed message, and we're also taking on a huge burden and population increase.

We need to stop mass immigration and any notion of "fairness" or ethnic balance in immigration. We have something of value here, we only need to bring the very best in to further our perfection. The Kazon are inferior? We do not assimilate them.

We need to stop Islamic infiltration of this country and ignore the tears of misguided people. Islam is incompatible with liberty, the Islamic nations have proven that.

These are not conservative or liberal positions- they are rational and correct positions.
    You do understand that 90% of liberals disagree that these are rational and correct positions, right?
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Dude, you need to get a grip...

You see romney where there is none. You're the boy who cried romney... Get over yourself. Most of what you think you've found out has already been discussed here....

We have a pretty good understanding of what romney is about...
    Ron Paul is bat shit crazy, it follows that his st paullie girls are too.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Abortion is not "out of play."
    Yes it is, it's over, let it go.

A So the first definition of a social conservative is "someone that understands all human life has value."
    Really? Is that why conservatives support the death penalty? IS that why conservatives want to instigate with Iran and China? Of course they all don't, but enough that you would have to call it a conservative position as demonstrated by your post.

You do understand that 90% of liberals disagree that these are rational and correct positions, right?
    What is your evidence? In Maryland the opposition to the Dream Act is both Democratic and Republican.

Really? Is that why conservatives support the death penalty? IS that why conservatives want to instigate with Iran and China? Of course they all don't, but enough that you would have to call it a conservative position as demonstrated by your post.
    Hmm. Let's compare. Someone who took the life of a productive member of society and someone who's only crime was being conceived. Yeah, they're the same.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Who said he wasn't a social conservative? I can't imagine anyone thinking that about Reagan, and I'm not a fan because I am a social liberal.

The only thing I can think of in which the Reagan administration allowed anything close to liberal social policy was C. Everett Koop's in your face take on AIDS/HIV. There were probably some on the religious right who didn't like his ads that informed people that short of abstinence, the best method for preventing HIV transmission is the use of condoms. In the 80s, we didn't have the Trojan ads on tv like we do now, so for some it would have been shockingly liberal.

The only other time Reagan did anything close to liberal was when he appointed Sandra Day O'Connor to the supreme court. She was a moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm not a fan because I am a social liberal.

In some things you are but in your personal life I think you're more conservative than a lot of our conservative members are.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I for one welcome our new Romnulian overlords. :p
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Wow. Imagine you on a messageboard a couple hundred years ago.

Slavery is out of play. Let it go.
    Women can't vote. It's out of play. Let it go.

Or further back. The world is flat. It's out of play. Let it go. Etc, etc.

I have a current one for you though. Gays can't marry. It's out of play. Let it go.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by mike128 View Post
    For all those establishment Republican "moderates" (a.k.a. liberals), like Karl Rove, who insist that we need a Republican "moderate", like Flip Romney, to win against Obama, I would officially like to prove that Ronald Reagan was a TRUE social conservative who won not one, but TWO LANDSLIDE ELECTIONS, against Jimmy Carter back in 1980, and against "Fritz" Walter Mondale back in 1984.

And to point this out, I would like to officially introduce the ONLY book that ANY President of the United States has ever published, while in office: Ronald Reagan's "Abortion and the Conscience of the Nation".

Reagan published this book back in 1983, right before he won a second term as President in a LANDSLIDE election, back in 1984. I love Ronald Reagan. And I am NOT ashamed to admit it, unlike some of those "establishment" Republicans who keep trying to tell us to "get real" and that the era of Reagan is "over".

Without further interruptions, I would like to personally introduce the ONLY book which Ronald Reagan ever penned, while in office, called "Abortion and the Conscience of the Nation".

Here is the official picture of the book's cover:

Hopefully, true conservatives will finally realize that nominating "Obama-lite" will only result in getting Obama re-elected.
    I think you're right. Truth is every time I ever hoped for a social Republican moderate to get nominated in a primary, it doesn't happen. It's usually somebody a lot like Reagan on a social basis.

What I don't think people want is too much fiscal conservativism. I hate to say it, but Mitt's your man on that one. He's not making statements against social security like Perry and Bachman did. While people do want welfare reform, nobody wants a President who is unsympathetic toward the unemployed in these economical times (Hermain Cain, saying if you're unemployed and not rich, then it's your own fault). People want somebody who will cut down on the spending without dismantling social programs all together. That's actually what I want, but I don't think it will happen.

I'm sure many people thought that infanticide would never end. I'm sure many people thought the slavery issue was "over" long before it was outlawed. As is, since every single abortion kills a human, there will never be an end to the fight to outlaw it. Someday, my great great grandchildren will be as shocked by the idea of killing a human before birth as we are shocked by the idea of killing one after.

Yes, it is. When a person takes the life of another person, his life is forfeit. It's the one certain way to stop at a murderer from taking more lives. When a nation poses enough of a threat that failing to stop them would cause more death than going to war, then conservatives back the thing that takes the fewest lives. Duh. :D

:D
    What is your evidence? In Maryland the opposition to the Dream Act is both Democratic and Republican.
    Who is it that opposes voter ID? OH, yeah, the liberals that want to encourage illegals to vote for Dims.
    Last edited by MrsSmith; 01-09-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.