Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Emotional movies. 
    Just watched Big Fish with my 4 week old son passed out on my chest. I'm not exactly the most emotionally deep guy. Takes a lot to really get to me, but for some reason that movie has always tugged the heart strings.

I guess it just holds a mirror up to me a bit with my own father. With a brand new son right there, it really made me think about my legacy to my children as well. Just about had me in tears at the end of the movie.

Anyone else have a certain movie that does that to you? Just really reaches out to you that special way?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I did absolutely nothing today but unwind on my couch. I watched a movie with Natalie Portman, "The Other Woman". It got me emotional when she explained how she believes she killed her baby by smothering her...but that's not revealed till the end of the movie. It was a sad movie about a woman going through her grief in losing a 3 day old baby. It was certainly a Debbie Downer. I should've gone to the beach.

2 movies that always get me is Terms of Endearments and An Officer and a Gentleman, both with Debra Winger. Plenty more, but those two come to mind.

Marley & Me. I saw this movie just once and I can never watch it again. When they had to put Marley down, I never cried so hard and believe you me, I'm one of those guys who can hide his emotions pretty good but I couldn't when I saw that. But that was the dog lover in me coming out.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Shindler's list always got to me
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

I don't really know why, but "We were soliders" always got to me. As a former Marine the fact that this is an Army movie has never even been an issue. I think it's because it's not a service movie, like Top Gun or Full Metal Jacket, but it is a movie about a professional warfighter, and more importantly the warrior spirit which accompanies the profession.

The parts that really get to me is that Mel Gibson (playing Hal Moore) is the first one on the ground and the last one off, and the movie makes a point of it. That kind of makes a little sentimental for that old Marine Corps spirit.

Then there's the U.S. Army sending telegrams via Taxi Cab driver to the wives! I mean, what the hell! That part makes me too angry for words (though I don't know if it were real or not).

Then there was Chris Klein's character getting killed with a pregnant wife home, and my wife being pregnant while I was Iraq.

It's just a damn good movie. It doesn't capture the realism of war at all, but it captures of the heart of it I think.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Just about any movie with dogs (except Lassie or RinTinTin) can tear me up.........

Eight Below,
    Marley and Me,
    Where the Red Fern Grows,
    K-9,

...and more.

If I feel like getting depressed, I'll drag out Grapes of Wrath.

We Were Soldiers, Sergeant York, and even the Australian film Gallipoli, stir my national pride.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

I get choked up and teary in movies. My wife pretends not to notice.:)

I'll name one that was hard to watch because of it's raw portrayal of a kind of life few of us will ever have to endure:

Winter's Bone

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Marley & Me. I saw this movie just once and I can never watch it again. When they had to put Marley down, I never cried so hard and believe you me, I'm one of those guys who can hide his emotions pretty good but I couldn't when I saw that. But that was the dog lover in me coming out.
    Wow!

My hubby too, who tries his best not to let me see him tearing up ... just completely let go at watching this movie.

Guess it was the dog lover in him as well, NJ.

As for me, I can tear up at the drop of a hat, watching movies, listening to songs etc. as long as the writing is not too contrived.

~ ABC

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    It's just a damn good movie.
    It doesn't capture the realism of war at all, but it captures of the heart of it I think.
    That's the type of movie that tears me up, when the characters are challenged and beyond
    all hope but over come it on pure heart and will to win. Especially when it's filmed just right
    with music effects, etc:

We Were Soldiers - the scene when they charge the hill at dawn in slow motion with that
    Lay Me Down song playing at the moment when Snake's helicopter comes up over the horizon

Rocky 1 - at the end when the bell rings and the music starts playing, and although he didn't
    win Rocky knows he went the distance ... Yo Adrian I Did It!

Secretariat - the footage of that triple crown win makes me cry even just watching a few
    seconds of the real footage on YouTube, that was a good movie

It's those kinds of scenes that get me all choaked up.

Oh and dog movies too .... Still cry watching Old Yeller.
    I have not seen Marley & Me and don't plan to.
    From what I've heard about it I don't think I could make it through that one.
    Last edited by Kay; 01-08-2012 at 02:36 PM.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I always shed a tear when the Death Star blows in STAR WARS. :(:D
    May the FORCE be with you!